• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

RECALL: Royal Canin

Hey guys, I am certainly no expert on home cooking. In fact my guys only completed the conversion a couple of weeks ago, and I am still awaiting some books on the subject. What I feel I can share with you, with confidence is that if you feed your dogs most of the fresh & nutritious things you'd feed your family, with the exception of the few foods that are toxic to dogs, you will be giving your dog most (if not all) of the nutrients they need, at least to be safe for many, many weeks. If you think you'd like to home-prepare full time, then like me, I'd suggest getting some books on the subject. But for short-term, I honestly think it is far safer than what is currently going down, there in the USA. If you decide to give it a go, then just start gently with only a few ingredients you know your dog can tolerate, and then over time, add a new food to see how your dog tolerates it.

My guys are currently getting a variety of cooked & raw meats, chicken necks (that not everyone is comfortable feeding), a variety of vegetables, a variety of fruits, and grains like rice, rolled oats, barley. They also get cheese, yoghurt, milk is small quantities.

You guys with allergy prone dogs would have to be careful what you are doing, but I honestly think with a little forethought, you can provide your dogs with healthy safe meals.... at least until this very worrying situation settles down.

Lots of good information in this thread....I had only just started Om on Solid Gold, Just a Wee Bit Adult (bison)
Small Breed Adult Food. She's doing okay, but I see her coat is dulling and more dry. I don't know if there's a connection. We were rotating around Natural Balance's selections. Both Solid Gold and Natural Balance have been sold the rice protein concentrate by Wilbur Ellis, who bought it from China. It has been used on only certain, already mentioned foods. However, Wilbur Ellis sold the rice protein concentrate to five different firms and have named only two at this date. Those two being Solid Gold and NAtrual Balance. Who will the other three be? The stuff they sold to the hog farmers was called "salvage." Our pigs are eating salvaged,unfit-for- dogs food. We eat the pigs. Sheesh! I stopped eating beef when, as someone else wrote on this thread, that the cows were fed dead or sick cows (after rendering) Cows aren't cow eaters! They eat grass. What are any of us really getting?

I have read on the L list that Solid Gold is made by Diamond PEt Foods. I have not yet been able to find a site that tells definitely exactly Who makes What. Even knowing Who makes What, we don't know Who is buying What from Whom to pour over What we finaly put in front of our dogs!!!!!!!!!!!Whew! Does that make sense?

I have a couple links to share on another post. I 'm going to get Om another bag of Canidae All Life Stages, which I've always kept in the mix for her.

Dorothy

Both Solid Gold and Natural Balance have been sold the rice protein concentrate by Wilbur Ellis, who bought it from China.
Solid Gold from what I understand is not on the recall list - this is from their website:
Re: Natural Balance Product Removal / Menu Foods

We at Solid Gold Health Products for Pets, Inc. ("Solid Gold') realize that consumers are very concerned with the recent product food recalls. We would like to assure our customers that there are no safety concerns with Solid Gold products. The product recalls and removals have centered around ingredients sourced in China, in particular wheat gluten and now rice protein concentrate. These products are thought to be contaminated with melamine. Neither of these ingredients are used in any Solid Gold food products, nor do we source any ingredients from China, either directly or indirectly. We do not use gluten meal of any kind in any of our foods.

All the ingredients in Solid Gold products are sourced domestically with three exceptions. The lamb meal used in our dry foods is sourced from New Zealand, which produces some of the cleanest meat in the world. The potato protein used in Barking at the Moon is sourced in Europe. Our Blended Tuna canned cat food (grain free) is produced offshore due to the lack of tuna processing plants in the United States.

Sincerely,

Steven J. Wirick
Chief Operating Officer
Solid Gold Health Products for Pets, Inc.

Tel. # 800-364-4863
Fax # 619-258-3907

No foods of any brand have been recalled in Ireland, the UK, or Europe generally.

Manufacturing plants are entirely separate.

The FDA website, which I have stickied at the top of the Diet and Helath section, lists all foods that have been taken off the shelves.

Back