• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lily Is Out of Surgery

Shay...how is Lily doing today?

She's doing great. Her appetite is off the charts, which it wasn't before her surgery. She's pooping and peeing fine. She played like crazy today as was jumping around like a little rabbit, on and off the furniture. I finally had to put her in her crate for a while to keep her still. You would never know she had surgery 2 days ago. How's little Gracie doing?

We have decided to talk to the Vet again when we take her back to have her stitches removed as to why he did not think it necessary to send off the tissue and growth. I think his issue was that the course of action if it would have been anything, is to remove all of her females organ. Everything is gone now, so I guess that's why he decided not to send it off. I just want to be certain that I understood him correctly as to why he didn't feel the need to have it read. We more than likely will ask him to go ahead and send it off.

Hi Shay, I think you are on the right track about why your vet didn't send the cyst off to a lab. We have had this exact same situation and our vet has said that in the end, putting us through the additional expense of pathology (which is very expensive here in Au) would have been academic and would not have changed the dogs pronosis, nor the treatment. He said that if it was benign then there was nothing to do about it, and if it was canerous there also was nothing to do about it, because it had all been done, and we would then be fretting over something we couldn't change. Still, if it would ease your mind to have some path run on it, then why not.

So happy to hear that Lily is doing well! I'll be interested to hear what the vet has to say about sending the sample off for biopsy. I'm sure he's right on track, but do whatever makes you feel like you've covered all your bases!

Gracie is doing well! Thanks for asking. She doesn't seem quite as up and about as Lily, though! She's running and playing, but won't jump up the furniture or run up the stairs...she walks pretty slowly up them, instead. But, everyday she gets a little more back to her old self, so we expect to be seing these things again before too long!

Hi Shay, I think you are on the right track about why your vet didn't send the cyst off to a lab. We have had this exact same situation and our vet has said that in the end, putting us through the additional expense of pathology (which is very expensive here in Au) would have been academic and would not have changed the dogs pronosis, nor the treatment. He said that if it was benign then there was nothing to do about it, and if it was canerous there also was nothing to do about it, because it had all been done, and we would then be fretting over something we couldn't change. Still, if it would ease your mind to have some path run on it, then why not.

Hi Caraline....Thanks for sharing your story and I think you are right and that this is the reason he did not send it off. When I talk to him when we bring her back, I just want to confirm that this was why. I have no idea what it would cost to read the biopsy, but I do have pet ins. Even though it doesn't pay for routine spays, I am wondering if they may pay for this surgery because it really wasn't routine, in the sense that the cyst was the reason for the recurrent heat. If they do pay, then I would think they would pay for the biopsy to be read as well. Hey, it's worth a try anyway :wink:.

Gracie is doing well! Thanks for asking. She doesn't seem quite as up and about as Lily, though! She's running and playing, but won't jump up the furniture or run up the stairs...she walks pretty slowly up them, instead. But, everyday she gets a little more back to her old self, so we expect to be seing these things again before too long!

Hi Lindsay...Well, Lily is not as peppy this morning. She woke up twice last night whimpering the most pitiful sound she could muster. We had to take her out twice, and she pooped and peed both times. This is unusual for her, she never gets up during the night. I did give her a pain pill last night, so I'm not sure what was going on. This morning she seems to be afraid to jump and is mostly sleeping. She obviously overdid it yesterday. She had company, my brother, SIL and my Mom came to see her. She adores my Mom and was all over her, bringing her toys and wanting to play. I am going to keep her as still as possible today. Her incision looks good though, so no problems there. I'm glad Gracie is doing better too, I think they are both on the road to recovery! (y)

Back