Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on adoption

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on adoption

I have a question for all you that have adopted rescues. We found another rescue right here in Colorado Springs that is 4 yr. old and deaf. I've email the foster several times and will be seeing her tomorrow. We just adopted another little one about a couple of months ago (special needs) and we just adore her. She has adapted to our family very well. She's still shy but is becoming a spoiled rotten cavalier rather quickly. I'm amazed at her progress. She will have surgery in May on her patellas.

Here's my question....what's your opinion on adopting another rescue so quickly? She is also special needs and will require surgery but that's not my main concern. Friday has become very good friends with Wednesday already.... will this upset their new friendship? Any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated!!! Here's her link:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8108982

She will be at an adoption fair tomorrow so we will get to see her. I would love to have 3 cavaliers, but for all you with 3 does it work out well for you?
    Terri, mom to Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, it's worked ok for me .

It will alter the dynamics of the dogs' relationships, of course and you will need to give them time to get used to each other.

Trying to think ... when I went from 2 to 3, Cailean & Bradley weren't really close friends and the new addition (a foster girl, who went to the Bridge after 2 months) made no difference to their relationship if you want to call it that.

To be honest, it's quite hard for me to say personally, as I foster sometimes, so my 4 are all used to new faces and things settle very quickly as a rule.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have room and your heart tells you tomorrow that she will be a good fit, she certainly needs you. It says she's deaf in one ear so maybe that issue will be ok. I have 3 , and had 4 at one point. It usually works out fine. Dog whisperer had a segment last night about picking the right dog for your other dogs dynamics. It was very obvious which dog would make the better addition. Maybe you can arrange a visit with your dogs too.

Post Thanks / Like

I like three.
    First I had Monty and added Izzy. This worked fine, once the puppy stopped pestering the big boy, because Monty is submisive.

Joly came , over 5 years later. I wanted a dog to leave with Izzy, so I could take Monty out alone, but this din't work, as Izzy didn't like joly and only eventually learned to tolerate him. (Joly is Monty's pal).

Six months later, we got Teddy, to whom Izzy took immediately, and things were fine, until at 18 months, Teddy wanted to be boss. he didn't challenge Izzy, but did the others ...and me. I sorted things, but always had to be on guard.

Now we are down to three, peace reigns. Teddy has the odd grumble to put Monty in his place (pointless, really), but that's all. he is silent boss.

I will stick to three, now, as any pair can be left together.
    Last edited by Barbara Nixon; 21st April 2007 at 02:26 PM.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can handle three emotionally, physically and financially...go for it! How is little Wednesday doing? How's Friday? A third will upset the balance...but not necessarily in a bad way. When I've brought in a third for foster it's always a bit of an adjustment but they seem to always work it out.

If you can handle it, you should do it.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I would go for it I have find that I have had no trouble with my three ---Aileen and the gang (Jazzie--Barney--Sam)
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like

When we went from 2 to 3, it was a puppy that joined us. He did not back away when the older 2 told him to buzz off (and still doesn't now that he's grown). It waS chaos for quite awhile. It was so much easier when we added the 4th because it was a grown up dog. They all sorted out their places quickly. I don't think you'll have a problem adding a 4 yr. old. I love that you are taking an older special needs dog!
    Molly and Murphy (tri), Katie (ruby), Casey (B/T),Spike the wonder pup (tri), Suzie (tri) and Penny (blen)

Post Thanks / Like

Terri, Last spring I brought home Luke. He was 3.5 years old and he really wasn't social with Merry and Pippin. He just wanted to be with me. Merry & Pippin treated him fine. It just took a long time for Luke to figure out how to fit in with the other dogs.
    Charleen and Cav's: Pippin (ruby male), Merry (b&t female), Luke (blenheim male) & Jolly (tri male puppy)

Post Thanks / Like

We're off to see her now. If she's already been adopted that will solve all the questions I have.

Thank you for all the advice. It's great! I think I will ask to have all 3 of them together either at the foster mom's house or mine. When we adopted Wednesday we took Friday with us to Kansas. The foster mom has had her for 4 months now and says she gets very bonded to women. Both my dogs are very attached to me and I have a little cavalier herd following me where ever I go in the house, but they also like each other and curl up together.

She sounds fairly deaf according to the foster mom. I've had older deaf dogs before but have become deaf over time not coming into the house deaf. We'll see............
    Terri, mom to Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday

Post Thanks / Like

Update please!!! Curious to know what happened.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah