• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question on adoption

Friday's Mommy

I have a question for all you that have adopted rescues. We found another rescue right here in Colorado Springs that is 4 yr. old and deaf. I've email the foster several times and will be seeing her tomorrow. We just adopted another little one about a couple of months ago (special needs) and we just adore her. She has adapted to our family very well. She's still shy but is becoming a spoiled rotten cavalier rather quickly. I'm amazed at her progress. She will have surgery in May on her patellas.

Here's my question....what's your opinion on adopting another rescue so quickly? She is also special needs and will require surgery but that's not my main concern. Friday has become very good friends with Wednesday already.... will this upset their new friendship? Any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated!!! Here's her link:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8108982

She will be at an adoption fair tomorrow so we will get to see her. I would love to have 3 cavaliers, but for all you with 3 does it work out well for you?

In my experience, it's worked ok for me :).

It will alter the dynamics of the dogs' relationships, of course and you will need to give them time to get used to each other.

Trying to think ... when I went from 2 to 3, Cailean & Bradley weren't really close friends and the new addition (a foster girl, who went to the Bridge after 2 months) made no difference to their relationship if you want to call it that.

To be honest, it's quite hard for me to say personally, as I foster sometimes, so my 4 are all used to new faces and things settle very quickly as a rule.

If you have room and your heart tells you tomorrow that she will be a good fit, she certainly needs you. It says she's deaf in one ear so maybe that issue will be ok. I have 3 , and had 4 at one point. It usually works out fine. Dog whisperer had a segment last night about picking the right dog for your other dogs dynamics. It was very obvious which dog would make the better addition. Maybe you can arrange a visit with your dogs too.

I like three.
First I had Monty and added Izzy. This worked fine, once the puppy stopped pestering the big boy, because Monty is submisive.

Joly came , over 5 years later. I wanted a dog to leave with Izzy, so I could take Monty out alone, but this din't work, as Izzy didn't like joly and only eventually learned to tolerate him. (Joly is Monty's pal).

Six months later, we got Teddy, to whom Izzy took immediately, and things were fine, until at 18 months, Teddy wanted to be boss. he didn't challenge Izzy, but did the others ...and me. I sorted things, but always had to be on guard.

Now we are down to three, peace reigns. Teddy has the odd grumble to put Monty in his place (pointless, really), but that's all. he is silent boss.

I will stick to three, now, as any pair can be left together.

Last edited:
If you can handle three emotionally, physically and financially...go for it! How is little Wednesday doing? How's Friday? A third will upset the balance...but not necessarily in a bad way. When I've brought in a third for foster it's always a bit of an adjustment but they seem to always work it out.

If you can handle it, you should do it.

I would go for it I have find that I have had no trouble with my three ---Aileen and the gang (Jazzie--Barney--Sam)

When we went from 2 to 3, it was a puppy that joined us. He did not back away when the older 2 told him to buzz off (and still doesn't now that he's grown). It waS chaos for quite awhile. It was so much easier when we added the 4th because it was a grown up dog. They all sorted out their places quickly. I don't think you'll have a problem adding a 4 yr. old. I love that you are taking an older special needs dog!

Terri, Last spring I brought home Luke. He was 3.5 years old and he really wasn't social with Merry and Pippin. He just wanted to be with me. Merry & Pippin treated him fine. It just took a long time for Luke to figure out how to fit in with the other dogs.

We're off to see her now. If she's already been adopted that will solve all the questions I have.

Thank you for all the advice. It's great! I think I will ask to have all 3 of them together either at the foster mom's house or mine. When we adopted Wednesday we took Friday with us to Kansas. The foster mom has had her for 4 months now and says she gets very bonded to women. Both my dogs are very attached to me and I have a little cavalier herd following me where ever I go in the house, but they also like each other and curl up together.

She sounds fairly deaf according to the foster mom. I've had older deaf dogs before but have become deaf over time not coming into the house deaf. We'll see............

Here's the update!! Well, I should have my head checked, but we decided to adopt her! We met her at the adoption fair and had planned to get her from the foster home last night but the foster mom has the flu and so we made plans for next weekend. I want to make sure we have a nice long weekend together before the busy week starts.

After talking to the foster mom last evening at length, I found out that she was a breeder dog that because she was deaf kept smoothering her pups, so was being sold for 100.00, along with kittens she was selling supposedly on a corner. A rescue person noticed her and paid the 100 and got her to a foster home.

She came in in really bad shape with severe ear infections and an intestinal tract infection that almost killed her. The rescue organization has spent well over 1000.00 getting her better. The foster mom said she has fielded a huge amount of calls and some even went as far as submitting applications but then they always backed off, scared of the surgery she needs. She was starting to feel hopeless about adopting her. She said they were hoping for someone familiar with the breed and felt we could handle her special needs. I was concerned about the cost of paying for surgeries on 2 dogs but through this organization I can get a discount with the a local vet. That makes it more feasable for us. My husband immediatly said he would pay for all her costs!!

She looks very sweet and will take some patience and time. The foster said she is very shy but she doesn't seem as shy as Wednesday was. Now my biggest concern is whether to have Wednesday's and Lizzy's surgery done at the same time and go through it all at once together OR space them apart. It would be like a little doggie hospital ward here! We're having both of Wednesday's knees done at the same time the beginning of May, while the new one only needs one done. Any advice or opinions on this everyone???!

I'll post some pics next weekend when we get her. To me she looks older than 4 but I'm sure with the hard life she's had that could be the reason. I hope she fits in well. She does seem to have a sweet cavalier personality.

Wow!! You truly are this girl's little saving angel. Good for you!!! No advice re surgeries. Can't wait to see pictures of her. Now....will she be re-named Sunday? :D

Cathy, lol!!...yes...that's the big debate going on in our house now. I sort of wanted to get away from the days of the week but the rest think she'll be left out...Husband wants Monday...kids want Tuesday or Sunday.

FWIW, I vote for Monday.....lol

Then you have Monday, Wednesday, Friday.......sounds like a part-time job! :D

I think that's very cute. ;D

Terri:

My last rehome is also deaf. She tends to watch the other two for ques - i.e., when I'm coming home, dinner time, etc. She does sleep very soundly; however, so I always try to gently touch her whenever i come into the room or let her know it's time for bed.

Interesting enough, when I open the frig or rattle a bag, she seems to be able to hear that :)

i think she will be a good fit for your family. sounds like she has had a rough start till now esp. being a mommy dog. now she can just be herself!!

Sheri
Nebraska

Sheri, I'm glad to have you here to ask questions of. The foster mom said she seem fairly deaf....except for kitchen sounds. She said she doesn't miss too many treats! She said if she's in the room and doesn't her her she stomps on the floor because she jumps if someone touches her and she doens't see or hear it coming. Did you teach her any hand signals?

....and yes Cathy...my husband wanted Monday just about the same reason!

first off... CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW ADDITION!!!! i vote monday also, heehee.

obviously this is a bit different than a deaf dog but I had a deaf ferret who was prone to nipping if startled. i quickly learned to "walk heavily" as i approached her so she could "hear" me coming through the floorboard vibrations. when she was sleeping, i would jiggle the hammock or tap the floor next to her so she would wake up without me touching her adn startling her. once she was awake, she loved to cuddle, but reacted she would react when startled.

as far as the surgeries go, as long as she is not in imminent (sp?) danger or pain, i would try to space out the surgeries, so you only have to focus on one recovering dog at a time. it will also make it less difficult if there are complications. that being said, if she is in pain or getting worse, i would get it done as soon as possible. i would also chat with your vet and see what they think.

just my two cents. heehee. i think it is really wonderful that you are able to take her and other special babies that need the extra help and love. best of luck.

Back