• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Food list for home-prepared meals

Harley & Carley

Is there a comprehensive list of foods that are safe for home-prepared meals? I have read too much at this point, and am getting overwhelmed!Some say to add calcium, som esay not to, and on and on with a long list of other ingredients.

I am just looking for something to feed until they determine whether corn gluten meal will be recalled, as it is circulated that it may be the next ingredient found to be contaminated with melamine.
I am (was) quite happy with my RC food, but am leary of all store bought foods at this point, and I have such picky eaters, I would waste alot of time and money with online ordering, trying to find something they will eat.

Thanks to all of you that have offered your version of home prepared meals. If we can compile a list of all the recommendations, it might help those of us who are stepping out of their comfort zone to ensure the safety of their precious babies.

Is there a comprehensive list of foods that are safe for home-prepared meals?

Most healthy human foods are safe for dogs, so it is far easier to read a list of foods that are not safe for dogs. Here is one such list, but you'll find heaps if you Google

http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/storytemplate_process.cfm?story_no=257http://users.bigpond.net.au/fiorfein/photography/Beau070401006.jpg

I have read too much at this point, and am getting overwhelmed!Some say to add calcium, som esay not to, and on and on with a long list of other ingredients.

If you are only going to be feeding home-prepared for several weeks & until after the food scares are all over, you probably don't need to concern yourself too much with supplements. Vitamin & mineral deficiencies don't manifest it just a couple of weeks. Personally, I am not a great advocate of supplements, as I beliefe that if a variety of foods are given, those foods should provide the vitamins & minerals required. Having said that, I am no nutritionist and I am still learning myself, and am awaiting some books to arrive on the subject.

My guys are getting a large variety of meats, cooked & raw, chicken necks, raw grated vegetables, raw fruit, cooked starchy vegetables, and grains like rice, barley & rolled oats. They also get a small amount of cheese, milk, yoghurt, & peanutbutter.

If you want to start offering home prepared foods, even if just short term, start simple with only a few ingredients and build up on that once you know your dog does not have any allergies or intollerances to the new foods. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks. That makes it alot easier. There are still puppies and I was so worried about their nutrution. I think I can manage meat, starch, friut and veggies for a few weeks.
I wonder if they will have trouble going back to kibble...

Ah, you've got puppies. You do have to make sure the puppies get their calcium, so if you are not going to feed bones, you may need to add caclium. Probably safer to buy a specific puppy calcium like Sandoz, as the adult ones might be over the top. I am not giving Beau calcium supplements as he get chicken necks every second day. I also give Beau a little more meat & less veg & fruit to keep his protein up to him. He also gets a bit more cheese & milk too.

Back