• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Scratching, chewing and vomiting...

Aimee

So Brydie has been home for about five days :jmp2: (pictures forthcoming, I promise...) but there's just a few things I'd really appreciate some opinions on.

Firstly, is that she has some serious scratching going on. She'll sit for a full minute and just scratch her head/neck/back of her front leg/mouth (open and shut) or just make the scratching movement with her foot between her front legs. She definately doesn't have fleas or anything so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on why she's doing it or if you think it needs to be looked at by the vet.

The second thing is that she seems to be obsessed with biting her feet in particular as well as her ears. Would this just be her puppy biting instinct or maybe related to her scratching?

Lastly, over the last day or so she's been sort of dry-retching. She starts making this hiccuping sound and then sits in a half-squat, half-sit postition and her whole stomach rolls. After a couple of seconds I think she brings something up into her mouth and then swallows it. I'm thinking this is something that probably needs to be checked out just to be on the safe side?
It's doesn't happen after eating or anything.

Other than those few things she's perfect. She's settling in really well.

Aimee, congratulations on getting your little girl home. I'd be getting the vet to take a look at her... today if possible. When they are so young, there is very little margin for error and with those symptoms you are describing, I'd be thinking something is going on.

Let us know what happens.

And, I'm looking forward to the pictures :D

Last edited:
Thanks so much Caraline - I appreciate your reply.

I was thinking it would be a good idea to get a vet to check her out but I didn't know whether I was completely overreacting or not so I thought getting some opinions of experienced cavalier owners would be a good idea.

But I agree, I think it's definately better to be on the safe side than be sorry later.

Congrats on your new puppy.

I'm with Caraline....I think I'd get her to a vet and find out what's going on.

congratulations!! :)

it's a good idea to get her seen by a vet.. I am sure the vet will discuss all possibilities for this behavior with you.

What kind of food is she eating?

Keep us posted on what happens! :) Good luck! :flwr:::flwr:

Aimee

How Is She ,i Have Been Thinking Of Her.hope You Get Good News From The Vet.await Reply.

Thanks everyone :thnku:

According to the vet she's perfect except from a bit of flea dirt around her tail. I did check for fleas but of course I didn't find any :roll:
The throwing up got put down to some different food/water than she's use to and running around like an idiot straight after eating :lpy:

So anyway, she had a full check up (she didn't like the thermometer very much :shock: ), she got some flea stuff put on her neck and booked in for her next vaccination as well for puppy pre-school in a few weeks.

I'm very happy that it turned out to be something relatively simple.

I am pleased to hear that it turned out to be due to things that are easily rectified. What did the vet give you for flea control? I don't blame her about the thermometer. I prefer mine under the arm :razz:

Thanks Caraline and Justine.

The vet just gave her some Frontline. And I have to say I think I'd much prefer a thermometer under the arm too! Brydie was very good though, all she did was wiggle around a bit.

Glad to hear it wasn't anything too serious! gotta say, my cats aren't too fond of the thermometer either. heeheee. honestly i think that's why they hate the vet so much, i think thats worse that the shots!

Back