• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Going out of town - husband has to feed the puppies!!?????

Harley & Carley

I am going on an 8th grade field trip to Chicago for several days on Wednesday. My husband will be taking care of the puppies. He has tried to feed them on several occasions, but they are so extremely attached to me, they wont eat a bite for him. I expect this to be a problem because they barely eat for me.
Should I just not worry and assume they will eventually get hungry enough to eat. I have gone to feeding once a day (evening) and only giving them a biscuit in the am because they will not eat a single piece of kibble in the morning, but will eat a biscuit. I was hoping they would be more intertested in the evening and occasionally they are, but usually they eat just enough to get by.
Any suggestions?

Is there a special treat they like?

The reason I ask is mine both LOVE the 100% freeze dried livier treats, the secret to getting them to eat for me is to take one treat and shave it down to a powder~ I mix it in the food and they gobble up the whole bowl~ Just a suggestion.

Yes. They get NB turkey roll for treats which is actually dog food, but doesnt have enough protein for the puppies to have for a meal. I could just have him dice it into tiny pieces and mix it in. Maybe that will work.
thanks

When my two are in a non eating mood, i mix in some ham or chicken. We still have problems with ruby who plays non eating games sometimes. She will look at me sometimes as if to say 'is that it, i'm not eating that'. But if i walk off and ignore her she will get the taste for the food and start eating.

I had a neighbour who used to have to do a song and dance game where she chased the food bowl with her foot to get her dog to eat....but that is asking for trouble. Don't worry, they will be fine, when they get hungry they will eat, sometimes my ruby will not eat breakfast, but she is hungry by evening.

Mine have never gotten finicky before, but the trick that works every time with my MIL cavie when she comes to visit is to pour organic chicken broth over the food and she is just in heaven!! (the organic is lower Sodium and has a much stronger odor) ;)

I wouldn't worry about it. When Kris goes to a dog show for a weekend, I feed the dogs and they do just fine. Once in a while one of them may go off their food the first day, but then is eating the second day. Even if yours go off their food for a couple days, it really won't hurt them. You might try having your husband feed them between now and when you leave so they see him as the alternate food source.

Last night, I cooked veggies and chicken and chopped it in the food processor for him to add to their food - the would eat a door knob with that sprinked on top!
They each have a daily bag of food mixed up and ready to go. You would think I would do this for my human baby, but no, only for the fur babies!
How sad :)

Back