• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Potty in the rain

Donna27

I thought I'd share this little story with all you because it cracked me up, and I'm sure some other cavs must do the same thing...maybe.

So, as all you Californians know, it has been a very light rain year, not nearly what we usually have. We got Fiona in November, and she has only experience rain a handful of times. It rained pretty hard this past Saturday, and Sunday morning there were puddles everywhere outside. Our backyard is attached to the driveway (it is not fenced off), and while we are still very much in the potty training stage (we tried to do potty pads first-bad idea), Fiona has established that she goes #1 on the grass, and #2 on the concrete.

I took her out, and she went #1 right away (she's really getting to know "go potty!"), and I usually take her to the concrete right after, so she'll get the idea. Well, not yesterday! She took one look at the concrete and REFUSED to set foot off the grass! I couldnt believe it! The only thing I could think is that because the rain made the concrete darker and there were puddles, maybe she thought it was water? I have no idea. But it was just hilarious.:lol: I let her roam the grass longer, hoping she'd either go #2 there, or brave the concrete, but when i tried again, she wouldnt budge. Of course I took her inside and within a minute she did her #2 in the living room:x

Anyways...do other Cavs have different rainy day habits? Any advice?

Scouts rainy day habit is to run outside and act as if the sun is shining. She doesn't care if it's raining. I have to go out with an umbrella sometimes and make her come in. She loves all kinds of weather, she tried to eat all the snow. I remember when she was only about four months old, it was VERY windy outside and she squatted to make a little pee and the wind blew her over. She jumped up looked around as if to say, who pushed me. It was really funny. :luv:

Lily hates to get her feet wet. She lifts up her paws one at a time like a cat as she is walking It is too funny.

It is raining here today, and I was so proud of our 16 week old Beau who was the first one to rush out into the rain to do his morning wee. Sonny is pretty good about it too, but our Boxers hate getting wet it is not uncommon for me to find a little present on our veranda on a wet day.

Hehe.. my youngest hates to get her feet wet too. When it rains alot she will poop on the cement instead of the side yard. Annoying but at least its outside and I have to pick it up wherever it ends up. ;)

Oh and we are in CA too. It didnt rain for the first 6 months of each of pups lives.. they werent so sure what to make of rain. Wait til I introduce them to snow someday. That will be funny.

Last edited:
Dylan doesn't mind the rain, even heavy rain. I'm telling him to be quick and he's sniffing the air! Result...one very wet dog. ;)

OMG ... you should have seen Lucky's first snow. He was such a wimp. He would not go in the grassy area where the snow was (where at the time he did everything ... the concrete was dry).

Instead, he just froze like it sounds like Fiona did, and when I tried to get him to walk, he LIMPED. Like he was injured or something. And he so was not!!! He was totally fine in the house. I ended up picking him up and bringing him back inside! I passed my landlord on the way in and he said "walk your dog!" ... I am such a sucker for those spaniel eyes ...

The good news is, he did get used to both the rain and snow. It just takes getting past those sorry little eyes they give you and remembering who's training who. At least in our case. :)

Back