• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

5 Month Adoption Update

casshon

We adopted Molly + Bella 5 months ago now, so I thought I would give an update on how they are doing.

I will begin at the beginning! On Thursday 23rd November (Thanksgiving) 2006 my Mam, sister and I all drove, very excitedly, to pick up our new rescue dog. Karlin had told me there was 2 and I had to choose. Both dogs were adorable - a tiny little tri who caught all our hearts from the start by giving us hugs and kisses and a Blenheim who had the deepest brown 'sad Sam' eyes and reminded of us so much of our beloved Cassie (who passed away that summer). How could we possible make that choice? So, after much discussion, a few tears and a quick phone call to Karlin, we decided we just couldn't leave one behind and took them both home!

470238756_6aa1ffeaee_m.jpg

On the car ride home, the dogs were Christened - Bella (tri) and Molly (Blenheim). They were so good the whole way home, snuggling up to my sister and I.

That night Molly + Bella met their new big sister Honey who was not in the least bit impressed with the new additions! Bella immediately fell in love with Honey and still adores her. The feeling is not quite reciprocated! The next night though, Honey allowed them to sleep next to her (she's such a good girl :luv: ).

470238750_2d0b8c4304_m.jpg

Our newbies have certainly livened up our household and are adored by everyone who meets them. Bella is the only one who can disturb my Dad when he's reading the newspaper. She takes a run and jump and dives through the newspaper to sit on his lap. He affectionately calls her 'cheeky' - I think there is a love connection there :D . Molly loves nothing better than you giving you hug or being cradled in your arms like a baby, she's a real sweetheart

There were a few house training issues when they arrived but thankfully I can say we are 99% of the way now. Bella even rang her poochie bells through the blinds that were closed over the door the other night - I was so proud of her. Molly doesn't ring the bells but she will run up and down the room to let us know she needs to go out

Molly had a few issues with separation anxiety and would howl and cry when she was left on her own. She is much better now and allows me to leave the room without a sound (although they both wait at the door until I return - perfectly normal for cavaliers!). Molly was also quite frightened if you raised your hand or came towards her - it was like she thought you were going to hit her - this has now been resolved and she is very settled and happy. I think the fact that her hearing is not very good also contributed to this. She can hear very loud noises - for example, if a door bangs or glass crashing when I'm doing the recycling. She is very astute though, and her sixth sense kicks in allowing her to never miss a trick!

Their training is also coming along. I have been teaching both of them hand signs (for Mollys benefit) along with voice commands. Molly knows 'come' and 'sit' and is learning 'down'. Bella knows 'come', 'sit', 'down' and is learning 'stay'.

We are so pleased that we were able to take both girls home that Thanksgiving night because they really are best friends. I am so proud of how far they have come and how well they have settled in to our lives (or maybe that should be how well we settled into their lives - they have certainly taught us a few things in the last 5 months

I hope you enjoyed reading about our little adventure and thanks to Karlin for making it all possible.

That's a great story. Thank you for sharing it with us. Nothing like love and the care of good people to put things right. They probably feel like they're in heaven. God bless you and your family for adopting these wonderful cavaliers. God bless Honey too for accepting them. Honey, Molly and Bella are beautiful and they all sound like smart girls.

Oh my goodness, I loved your story!! I probably would have done the exact same thing and took both of them. We're getting our 2nd rescue this weekend (we'll have 3 total now), and I can't wait.

I love the pictures and this shows me that 3 cavies works just fine!

I love the story, it makes me tear up thinking about how lucky those two are :D I wish there were more people like you out there! Beautiful pups

I love your story. I am a sucker for a happy ending, and yours certainly is one. All three are gorgeous. Bless your for taking them both.

I remember that phone call well: "Can I just ask is there already someone ready to take the other dog?" I had some folks in mind but hadn't got around to making calls as I'd been so busy. I said "No" but I couldn't at first understand what they were asking -- I thought they wanted to know if one was already picked out and they were supposed to take the remaining dog. It turned out they wanted both! :lol: I was delighted to see these two stay together and they've clearly landed on their hairy feet!

I must admit I felt very cheeky making that phone call because I knew you had people in mind for both dogs but it was worth a shot and paid of for us in the end :D

I just found this picture. This is Molly + Bella enjoying a denta stick on their first night with us. As you can see they made themselves at home straight away :)

Molly_Bella.jpg

Back