• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lepto and Corona vaccines?

Julie S

Our breeder expressly told me to NOT vaccinate Cavalier pups for these two - she said that they don't react well to them.

Our first vet visit was today, and the vet thought that was insane, and that there aren't any problems associated w/ it.

Thoughts? Is this just my breeder's rec or commonplace for Cavaliers?

Some small breed dogs dont react well to the lepto vaccine. But then many here have had it with no problem. It appears to sometimes cause a reaction in dogs especially under 10lbs.

You have to weight the risk of not vaccinating against the risk of coming in contact with it, depending on the area you live in. Ask how many dogs in your area got lepto and were they of the strands the vaccination provides protection (not all strands are protected). If you search the database you should find answers in more detail - I asked this same question this winter and got detailed and varing answers.

For me I skipped it. My dog is always on a leash except in my backyard. I do not visit the country where rivers, pond are etc.. Our area has a low incidence, most not protected by vaccine and those that were, were often in dogs that had the vaccine. In a high risk area, I would have opted to have it or at least had it once she hit 10lbs. My reason for concern, is because 2 dogs in my breeders line had serious reactions to the vaccine. If cases go on the rise where I live, I might re-consider and get it then.

My vet actually advised me against them too, especially the Lepto. I've heard a lot about reactions too, and to me it's just not worth it to put my dog thru that. So I do not give those two vaccines to either of my dogs.

Back