• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice? Best Treats for Training

BostonGirl

Hi All,

I am new to the board - my husband and I are getting our first cavalier this Saturday! :p I am currently stocking up on all my puppy supplies and I was wondering what the best treats are for training purposes? Any suggestions are welcome. Also, any other favorite toys, chews, products, etc recommendations would be much appreciated!! Thanks :)

Bost Girl, Congrats on your new puppy! Looking forward to seeing pics! Our cav, Gracie, LOVES cheese as a training treat. I use that as our high value treat (for training in areas with lots of distractions, like obedience class). Lower value treats (mostly for training at home; places with fewer distractions) are frozen mixed veggies...especially peas and corn. We use a treat from PetsMart for potty treats Nature's Recipe Training Treats...they're shaped like little steaks and are very soft, so easily broken into smaller chunks and quickly chewed by Gracie. Recently, we started using Charlee Bears instead just for something different. She likes those, but they take longer to chew. No rice protein concentrate, wheat gluten, or corn gluten in either of those processed treats either.

Regarding toys, Gracie loves stuffed toys and is, for the most part, very gentle with them. We still have a few from when she first came home (she's 6 mos now). She particularly loves her loofah dog and "accordion" dog...and a very large (larger than her) minty green stuffed dog that is her crate buddy (all from PetsMart). She also likes a the Kong tug/rope toy that's shaped like a U with a black plastic handle in the middle.

Everyone here is so very helpful...you'll get great answers to any question! Welcome!

Congratulations on your cavalier, can't wait to hear how thing will go!

I often use Cheerious cereals when training, my duo loves it!

Congrats on your new pup! Good for you for getting prepared as much as you can, too!

Our two really like Charlie Bear training treats. They're all natural and very low cal. http://www.charleebear.com/

When we're working on tougher training issues (like high distraction or distance training) we use bits of organic turkey hotdogs, they go nuts for them--sometimes I think the actual treat is the distraction! :rolleyes:

Kongs stuffed with fruit or veggie bits, then frozen are a favorite for our two.
For toys, anything from Petstages is a hit http://www.sitstay.com/store/toys/intelli1.shtml and any of the hide-a-bee or hide-a-birds is a favorite, too http://www.sitstay.com/store/toys/intelli1.shtml.

Last edited:
Congratulations on getting your new puppy.
We have had Barney just under two weeks, his favourite toy is his stuffed duck and I use cheese for his potty treats. Barney also loves an empty plastic bottle, he goes mad with it:D:D

Back