• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How do you answer when....

not yet having a cavalier, i haven't had these experiences yet, and at least so far i have not been mistakenly been rude by asking an owner the price of their dog.

however, when i first starting looking into the breed, before doing any real research yet, just toying with the idea.... if i came across a cavalier, i would ask the owner if i could pet them and then mention that i was thinking about the breed. i would then usually ask if they liked their breeder or not and if they felt comfortable telling me who they got them from. most people felt comfortable teling me a bit about the breder adn if they liked them or not. hopefully this wasn't me being a rude dunce. heehee. actually, i still ask people if they like their breeders.....hmmmm.

we unfortunately have been having more backyard breeders cropping up around my neighborhood and this filthy nasty pet store near my house has started carrying cavaliers. i used to work at a restaurant in the same mall and have known employees for YEARS. the owner is a creep and only buys dogs from nasty cheap backyard breeders, i wouldn't even believe that his dogs a purebred. then charges an arm and a leg for the pups. he is charging $700 for the cavies there so i know a dog from a reputable breeder around here has to cost quite a bit more than that.

unfortunately, a friends aunt bought a cavie from that pet store without knowing anything about the breed. she saw it, thought it was cute, her dog is getting old so she thought she'd get a pup, and she brings it home. when i found out i lent her all my books and told her to do research into the breed because there are things you need to know to watch for, like MVD, etc. she had no idea!!! grrrr!!!! stupid her and stupid store!!!!! sorry i had to vent.

This is really a subject I feel so strongly about

I know the asking price for many Cavaliers here in Britain ,and I think that those Cavalier Breeders ,should be obliged to be doing Health Checks on their Cavalier Breeding Stock in order to at least to show they are trying to give the Cavalier Puppies the chance of a healthier ,longer life

Until Prospective Cavalier Puppy Buyers only buy their Cavalier Puppies from those Cavalier Breeders who do health check their Breeding Stock ,then I dont think the Heath Problems in the Breed will improve much

SO ,Cavalier Puppy Buyers ,the solution is in your hands.

Bet

I couldn't agree with you more! After dealing with Abbey, I won't buy from anyone who doesn't MRI their breeding stock.

I couldn't agree with you more! After dealing with Abbey, I won't buy from anyone who doesn't MRI their breeding stock.

I also agree with Bet and Jen, with all of the heartbreak we have gone through with Molly, I wouldn't buy a cavalier whose parents had not been MRI'd. I would be willing to pay extra for a puppy who has had proper testing.

She's priceless!

In the words of my mother: "I'll forgive you for asking if you'll forgive me for not answering".

This phrase makes people realize that what they've asked is inappropriate.

Or there's the "She's priceless".

To me, this is like asking a woman how old she is or if she appears pregnant, when she is due. These subjects are not to be touched with a ten foot pole. :D

I agree that making sure (and SEEING the certificates ) for things like cardiologist clearances, eyes, hips and knees, and ideally, the MRI results for the parents should be the first priority, never the price, when buying from a breeder.

When we decided to get Bailey, we hadn't even thought to ask about MRI results unfortunately. The breeder did have the parents, and proof of check-ups for the eyes, hips & heart. I think in the future, when we decide to get our second cavalier, we will look for MRI results of the parents as well, because we don't want to have our dog struggling with a genetic problem like SM. It does make me a little nervous that maybe that is why Bailey was less expensive than some of the other dogs that I have seen, however like I mentioned in another post, he could have been 3x as much, and we would have taken him home - price wasn't a factor. This being our first dog, I think we should have researched everything better. We researched temperaments, etc, things like that, but not enough about genetic problems they may have. I am really thankful for this board, and all of the posts really pointing out how important these things are.

I would also pay extra for a puppy whose parents had been MRI'd too!! Her parents are all certified in everything else that's required but not MRI'd. I thought this was a good breeder but with what I know now I'm not sure.

We've had lots of people ask us how much Friday cost and we usually don't tell them but do say it's an expensive breed. The couple times we have they look at us like we're nuts! We also add that her medical costs have been substantial and to look for a very good breeder.

One of my neighbors ask how much I paid for Scout. I told him she was a few dollars, they aren't a cheap breed. That wasn't enough for him, he said again, really, come on I really want to know how much she was. I was a little shocked at his persistence and told him, then I was upset with myself.

If someone was interested in the breed I wouldn't mind telling them, but he just wanted to know just to know. :rolleyes:

Back