• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ruby's getting spayed tomorrow!

nursejess80

I'm SOOO nervous about tomorrow. I have to drop her off between 7-9 and can pick her up after 3. I know this is a routine procedure, but I'm such a nervous wreck because it's my little baby!! I feel bad because she's been cooped up in the car for the past 2 days going back and forth to a funeral out of town, and now she has no idea what's about to happen. How long does it really take for them to be back to normal?? And what about the onesies?? I don't want to have to get a cone for her, so do you actually put all four legs in and cut out a hole for the tail?? What about going potty? Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that she's having her surgery tomorrow and to ask that you please keep her in your thoughts!!

Hi Jessica....Lily was done last Friday. She slept most of that day after we picked her up at 4:00 until 8:30 the next morning. Saturday she was a little slow, but by Sunday she was jumping and playing like at rabbit, it was hard to keep her still. She is absolutely back to normal today and won't get her stitches out until next Monday. You would never know she had surgery. She pooped and peed with no problem. As for the onsies, I went and bought one and tried it on her before her surgery. I cut out the hole for the tail. She couldn't walk very well in it, the snaps were hard to unfasten, and it was hard to get on. I decided not to use it because of these reasons. I really didn't need it. She has not once fooled with her stitches. I know you are worried, but she will be fine. They really bounce back so fast. I will be thinking of you both.:hug:

Last edited:
Thanks, Shay!! Glad to know Lily's doing well. I was thinking about ya'll last Friday. We just had so much going on with our family that I didn't have much time to check out the forum. I won't be able to put the onesie on her before surgery, so I may just see how she does before I put her through having to get used to some new contraption. I'll keep everyone updated!!

Jess...Ruby will do just fine, but I can totally relate to being a nervous wreck over it! Gracie spay was last Wednesday. She was doing really well and seemed back to normal Sunday into Monday, but we did WAY too much yesterday and she's hurting again today. I guess the "lesson" is that they can seem better than they actually are for the first week or so. Gracie gets her stitches out on Saturday and then we're going to the off-leash dog park for the first time! :dogwlk: She was very out of it for the first couple of days...sleeping a lot and sort of standing and staring. But, she snapped out of it by Friday/Saturday.

As for the onesies, we use them because Gracie is a big time licker. So, if she starts licking the incision a lot, we put the onesie back on. Ours is relatively easy to fasten and you just roll it up when she needs to go potty. She can wriggle out of it if she tries very hard, but it helps us distract her from the stiches.

Ruby will be just fine...just be patient with her and try to keep her calm even when she doesn't want to be. LOL...I can relate to what a challenge that can be! :p We'll be thinking of you tomorrow!

Hi Jessica

It is a nerve wracking time but she will be fine & before you know it she'll be bopping around like crazy.

and now she has no idea what's about to happen.

Well I reckon that is good, because the only one that is all fretting is you and she hasn't a worry in the world. Way to go!

How long does it really take for them to be back to normal??
She will be a bit out of it for a couple of days. Try not to get yourself all worked up if she looks a little glum. The anaesthetic stays in the system for a while & keep them a bit groggy.

Are you a nurse? You probably know about anaesthetics anyway.

Keep us posted. :hug:

She will be a bit out of it for a couple of days. Try not to get yourself all worked up if she looks a little glum. The anaesthetic stays in the system for a while & keep them a bit groggy.

Caraline really made me feel much better last week when she told me that! I was convinced something was really wrong! :rolleyes: Of course, it wasn't, and she was soon back to her old self again! :)

Hi Jessica

It is a nerve wracking time but she will be fine & before you know it she'll be bopping around like crazy.

Well I reckon that is good, because the only one that is all fretting is you and she hasn't a worry in the world. Way to go!

Are you a nurse? You probably know about anaesthetics anyway.

Keep us posted. :hug:

Yes, I'm a nurse, but I know I react to anesthesia (which is not a pretty sight), and I'm WAY bigger than she is!! They're giving her some pain meds before she comes home and giving me a few doses to give her at home, so I do feel better about that.
I was so sad to take her this morning. I prolonged it by taking her with me to Starbuck's, where of course the guy said that she was the cutest dog he had ever seen! She was so mad this morning because she wanted her breakfast. She sat in front of her little placemat on the floor and just stared at me. I felt so bad and kept trying to get her to drink her water, but she was making all her little disgruntled noises at me. It's so pitiful and cute at the same time!! I do feel good about the surgery, though. Didn't cry or anything when I dropped her off, which is VERY unusual for me. I pick her up at 3 or so, so I'll let everyone know how she's doing. Will probably take a few pics of my sad little girl for posterity!!

Well....My little Katydid had her surgery just yesterday morning...spay, hernia repair and microchip.
She stayed overnight and I picked her up this morning, honest to God---she is acting as tho' she NEVER had the surgery. The doctor commented about her trying to run around when he took her outside this morning.....
He does internal sutures...I have gotta peek at the incision when she is down....WHEN WILL THAT BE???...he offered sedatives...(I think for ME!!!)
He may be getting a phone call this evening:rolleyes: !

Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little Katydid

Hope your baby does as well!;)

How's Ruby doing?

Well....My little Katydid had her surgery just yesterday morning...spay, hernia repair and microchip.
She stayed overnight and I picked her up this morning, honest to God---she is acting as tho' she NEVER had the surgery. The doctor commented about her trying to run around when he took her outside this morning.....
He does internal sutures...I have gotta peek at the incision when she is down....WHEN WILL THAT BE???...he offered sedatives...(I think for ME!!!)
He may be getting a phone call this evening:rolleyes: !

Hi Nancy...Katydid sounds like Lily, who had her surgery last Friday. Aside from the day of surgery and when I brought her home that evening, you would never have known she had surgery. Glad little Katydid, did so well!

Back