Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what is everyone feeding now?

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy So what is everyone feeding now?

With all the recalls, and now the newest recalls, I decided to update my dogs' food, and today I decided to make the switch to Innova Evo, since it doesn't have any grain products in it. But now I find out that it is made by Menu Foods?! I thought that this particular brand of dog food was only made at this company's own plants....so now I am totally confused and not sure what I should do, and what to think. I had been feeding my dogs California Natural. So, I was wondering what everyone has done in regards to feeding their dogs now that the dog food recall seems to be expanding.
    ~Renee, Bailey & Maddie, and RIP my beloved Bentley.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't given Tucker dog food in 3 weeks. I'm not confident that any brand, regardless of whether or not their foods appear on a recall list is safe. Since learning there are only a handful of pet food manufacturers that make hundreds if not thousands of pet food brands and the recalled foods list is over 100 now and continues to grow, daily it seems, I cannot feel confident about dog food at the moment. This is not a recommendation to anyone. It's just how I feel personally.

I have been feeding Tucker brown rice, with some vegetable or fruit, and protein, mostly boiled chicken, egg, tunafish, cottage cheese, yogurt. However, I am uncertain about how much rice and how much protein. I usually put about 2 tablespoons of cooked rice and a good handful of boiled chicken with tsp canned pumpkin, or couple of green beans, or cooked carrot, or apple.
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005

Post Thanks / Like

I've been very tempted to do the same Joanne...and I may switch to home-cooked meals for my boys, it is something that I haven't ruled out yet. It sounds like you are feeding a very good and well-rounded diet.
    ~Renee, Bailey & Maddie, and RIP my beloved Bentley.

Post Thanks / Like

We're doing California Natural Lamb with Merrick's canned food. Has CN been recalled as well?? Ruby seems to like it enough, but of course her stomach has been upset due to the sudden food change. She also regularly gets plain yogurt, fruits, and veggies.
    Jessica, mom to Ruby, 1 yr. old blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to the FDA website. It talks about the latest recalled ingredient rice gluten. At the bottom of the page is a link to the recalled food list.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01615.html
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I switched my dogs to home prepared meals about a month ago.

Though we here in Australia have not so far been affected by the contaminants in pet foods, I am glad I don't have to be looking over my shoulder & wondering when/if it will hit.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

I have been feeding CA Natural chicken and rice and am in the process of switching to Primal prepared raw. Not specifically doing it because of the recall...but that's just another factor.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

It is difficult to know what to do. I feed evo to my cat and Innova Healthbars to Brodie so I wanted to find out what the deal was...I didn't know evo was manufactured by menu foods either.

Here's what I found: Only the evo canned food is manufactured by Menu foods and it is made at the South Dakota plant which hasn't produced any contaminated food. Natura (Innova, Evo, and California Natural parent company) owns and operates its own manufacturing plants that make its dry pet foods and treats and biscuits.

Here's a link to Natura's Response to the Recall
    http://www.naturapet.com/about-natura/news.asp?id=16
    Lynn
    Mom to Brodie (M Black and Tan) and Rescue Kitty Gonzolas

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne M View Post
    I have been feeding Tucker brown rice, with some vegetable or fruit, and protein, mostly boiled chicken, egg, tunafish, cottage cheese, yogurt. However, I am uncertain about how much rice and how much protein. I usually put about 2 tablespoons of cooked rice and a good handful of boiled chicken with tsp canned pumpkin, or couple of green beans, or cooked carrot, or apple.
    Hey Joanne, In my pursuit to learn about canine nutrition there is a fair amount of latitude re the ratio of protein to carbs. Some say 50% protein 50% carb, while others go 70% protein to 30% carb.

Here is a web site that might be helpful. The writer Mary Straus seems to be a very moderate person, not making extreme claims about what is best. There is helpful stuff on her site ranging from feeding kibble, through cooked home prepared & raw home prepared.

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

This site, owned by Lew Olsen is great too and has some sample menus.

http://b-naturals.com/Apr2006.php

Last edited by Caraline; 26th April 2007 at 07:12 AM.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

I think Evo is pretty safe. I guess due to the rice issue I would want to ask if California Natural is produced solely by them and check orientation of rice but otherwise it is a nice low allergen food. Personally I use Canidae - all U.S. grown and self manufactured with Merricks Puppy Plate (no rice - just meat and veggies). For snacks Canidae Snap It Bars (she really likes them but I havent found a cookie my cookie monster doesnt).

I'm staying put as now as its not the time to play switch-o-roo. But later I would like to try Evo and perhaps Merricks kibble for variety.