• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

what is everyone doing about vaccinations?

simonrickell

I have seen in many places the problem of over vaccination of your pets - resulting in some major problems. There are many vets who are voicing their concern - though our vet still seems to like the idea of yearly ones - well help their income alot.

What is everyone else dealing with this?:rolleyes:
Still doing yearly ones?
Anyone getting titter tests?

We used to do boosters every year.

As Guinness:paw: is an old man - we have now stopped his yearly booster. And from other discussions we are doing the pups as follows.
Normal one as around 10 - 12 weeks
Booster at 1 year
Booster at 4 years
Booster at 7 years
Then no more.

Simon

Here in Australia it is still the trend to do yearly boosters, so I still do them & will continue to do so until there is something difinitive to say otherwise. In my area we do C5 for Canine Cough, Coronavirus, Distemper, Hepatitis & Parvovirus. Some northern parts they also do Leptospirosis & I think Lyme. Au is free of Rabies.

I was worried about vaccinations, I get the rabies shot and then 1 month later I get the dhlp shot, when he got the dhlp shot he was really sore for 1 day. His rabie shot is good for 2 years.

I didn't know there was a problem with yearly shots. Mika had a set of shots last week at 3 months. I thought those would be her last for a year, but the Dr. didn't want to give her, her rabies and something else since she is so little, so we go back at four months for those. Is that normal? I really want to ge these done so she can get into puppy class.

Last edited:
I didn't know there was a problem with yearly shots. Mika had a set of shots last week at 3 months. I thought those would be her last for a year, but the Dr. didn't want to give her her rabies and something else since she is so little, so we go back at four months for those. Is that normal. I really want to ge these done so she can get into puppy class.

I never give all the shots at once. If they have a bad reaction, it is harder to figure out what the trigger was. I always give rabies alone, when the dog is healthy and not under any stress (not during a spay, for example).

If you want to learn what could happen with all the yearly shots-- google canine vaccinosis

Last edited:
my cats are both rescues, and both were old kittens/young adults when i got them. we (my vet and i) did shots each year for the first three years, then a booster three years after that and now they probably won't get anymore. they are indoor cats so they have minimal exposure to anything and one of my cats had a severe reaction to her last vaccination. cats can actually get vaccination induced tumors (rare but it happens) adn i decided in their case, it not worth the risk.

as for dogs, i tend to lean towards fewer vaccinations as they get older, with the exception fo rabbies. its not that i think they will get rabies but i live in a large metro area and its required by law. i would rather expose them the the minor risk from the vaccination than the test for rabies if it were to ever become an issue.

as a word of warning to everyone....if you have rabies laws in your area and the vet offers a 2 or 3 year shot, check the laws. some areas laws are not yet updatd to allow the multiple year shots a "valid" if there was an issue. also, a friend of mine worked in a vet clinic and at her clinic the three year shot adn the one year shot came from the same vial. just an fyi.

My cavs get rabies every 3 years. Their new Lepto is a 2 or 3 year, but you have to get a 1 year booster after the initial shot. Then they get DHPP and bordetella every year. The kennel and the training center we use require us to show their vaccination records. Every year we ask the vet what is new or changing in the way of vaccinations, and we ask for recommendations to keep our pups safe, since we have lots of wildlife on our property.

I know I am stressed, but really I didnt think this much! I read it all the way down to the word "titers" before I realized this was about vaccinations not vacations! I mean the part about the vet made sense as I was thinking oh you mean boarding...:eek:

Hello!

My vet likes to give the puppy starter course followed by a booster at a year old, then they alternate between a "full" and a "half" booster after that. There are certain elements in the booster that remain "live" for longer than others, I believe one of the longer ones is Parvo but haven't really looked at it for a while. Over here in the UK we only vaccinate for Rabies if we are applying for the pet passport scheme so we can take our furkids into Europe with us on holiday or to International dog shows etc.

Cathryn

I've had a couple problems with two of my dogs after they got vaccinations (pain and yelping after the shots, even three days after the vaccs were given). I've been doing the vaccs every 3 years, but I may do titers next time after what we went thru the last time. And I only do the very basic vaccs (no lepto and no corona). A friend of mine is a vet tech and she was the first person who told me about doing titers, and for us that may be the way to go from now on. And we do rabies every 3 years here. Also, I never give all the shots at once either (I also do that with my horse too), and give the rabies alone.

Blood Titres

Hello,

I know of some-one, not within Cavaliers, who has always routinely used the homeopathic nosodes in favour of routine vaccinations, she recently took several of her dogs to the vets for blood titres and they showed up the dogs were fully immune to everything! Food for thought.

Another colleague of mine, a retired midwife who ultra-sound scans my girls when they have been to the stud dog (She's not got it wrong yet either ;) ) breeds and shows British Short Hair cats, when they turn up at a show they have to have the cats examined by a vet and produce a vaccination record for the cat, whereas we dog show exhibitors just flash our passes and saunter into the showground, are we missing something here? :confused: :confused:

Normal one as around 10 - 12 weeks
Booster at 1 year
Booster at 4 years
Booster at 7 years
Then no more.

This is what I recommend for all the rescue cavaliers I rehome. This is also the general recommendation now from the big US vet schools.

For example, this is the University of California, Davis's recommendations -- the single largest vet school in the US:

http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/vmth/clientinfo/info/genmed/vaccinproto.html

There are known problems with over-vaccinating.

The problem is that vets and kennels both still push for annual vaccinations. My own vets told me they now recommend every three years though for core vaccines, and I get lepto every year. I have some information and links on vaccinations in the Library section. For a compromised dog I would consider using nosodes/titers instead and avoid vaccines.

There's plenty of controversy and discussion about vaccines, just as with feeding regimes, and a lot of noise out on boards and websites and lists, so you need to read carefully, weigh up the authority of sources, consdider what works best for you and how you view risk on both sides. (y)

Hello,

I know of some-one, not within Cavaliers, who has always routinely used the homeopathic nosodes in favour of routine vaccinations, she recently took several of her dogs to the vets for blood titres and they showed up the dogs were fully immune to everything! Food for thought.

That's interesting Cathryn as I had understood that the way nosodes work, it wouldn't actually show up in a titre test...

I only use nosodes for my Cavaliers..and know quite a few people who are doing that too.

Rupert is deaf due to vaccine damage, and following that, I decided against vaccinating.

I have done a lot of research and am happy with my decision. It's a personal decision, something that you can only decide for yourself after having done the research...I would never tell someone not to vaccinate, just to consider the alternatives...

Hi Nicki!

Yes I thought it a bit weird that she was saying this as I had heard the same thing too, I too know quite a few who only use the nosodes and for differing reasons.

My lot have first vaccines at 8-10 weeks, booster at a year, 4 years and 7 years, so pretty much what Karlin has advised.

I agree that the decision is purely personnal, mine have the routine vaccinations as we live in a village where there are lots of dogs, I routinely exercise my dogs along the canal towpath and also on the large Recreational field, so am happy with this decision, each to their own at the end of the day!

My vets, past (retired) and present, recommend annual boosters in this area. This is because parvo is widespread and the vaccine happens to be in the bottle which contains the ones which can be given every three years.

I'm surprised that your vet hasn't recommended the lepto (the one needed annually) for your gang, Cathryn, as there are always rats by canals.

Back