• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Summer, Garden and those Toxic Plants

Kodee

Kodee has been off lately. First we feared it might be the rice protein in 2 brands of cookies (I will spare you all from another rant there), the vet thinks it might have been the kennel cough she was exposed to at the vets during her rabies shot - but I am thinking it could have just as easily been our garden. The little devil wiggles through the low fencing I had to put up around numerous gardens or she jumps straight over. I started looking up plants fearing summer gardening bug beginning in me and was shocked to see multiple spring bulbs abundant in my garden right now! I suppose her upset stomach has lasted a bit too long to be that but still here is a great link. As for me I have to decide whether to rip out the crocus and tulips (oh about 50 plants) or build a skyscraper of a fence! And to think I just planted them this October :(

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_toxicplants

Thanks for the link. Mika has taken a liking to both my lilac and chokecherry leaves. I stop her, but was still worried. They completely line two sides of my yard, so it's pretty hard to keep her completely away. Glad to see neither is on the list.

Two very, very toxic plants for dogs are foxglove and lily of the valley. We actually dug up our foxglove and put it in the garbage (not worth the risk.)

At our old house, we had fencing installed in such a way that we could keep much of our perennial garden, yet keep our pups safe. I will try to post a few photos this weekend.

Two very, very toxic plants for dogs are foxglove and lily of the valley. We actually dug up our foxglove and put it in the garbage (not worth the risk.)

At our old house, we had fencing installed in such a way that we could keep much of our perennial garden, yet keep our pups safe. I will try to post a few photos this weekend.
Thanks and I used to have lily of the valley - arg now I need to go check and see if its still there!

Does anyone know if the actual flower is bad on the tulip or is it mostly the bulb? If its the flower, I am really in trouble we planted literally a 50 bulb bag and they will be flowering in about 2 wks...

Thanks for the links. I had already visited the Cornell site in the past. Is there a published list of plants and flowers that are not toxic to dogs/animals? As it seems it would be a SHORTER list! My backyard used to have all kinds of stuff growing in it. Considerable expense and time later most is gone, except for new growth.

Back