• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dylan moves up a class.Dog Travel sickness remedies?Dog biscuit recipes?

*Pauline*

I called my trainer this morning as she had some web site addresses for me that do homeopathic treatments for doggy travel sickness. Would like your advice on this please.

When we were on the phone she also said that Dylan is ready to move up a class. There is a lot of off lead work in the next class so I'm really looking forward to it. This means I don't get to say goodbye to my class mates as I'm starting the new class this Sunday. so I thought I'd make them some doggy biscuits in heart shapes with a hole in the top for a ribbon and bow. Anyone got a recipe for something that will keep its shape when baked?

:thnx:

How do you travel with him now?

Dogs tend to do best in a crate and for sick dogs, with a sheet or towel over it to cut off what they see outside. then some classical music while you drive. Some use homeopathic remedies and feel they help. A lot of young dogs or those unused to cars get sick initially and then this gradually stops. Leo and Jaspar both used to get sick but neither do now.

Also: if you are going on a longer journey don't feed him that morning. Dogs travel better on an empty stomach.

He's tied with a harness to my belt and is on my lap. He closes his eyes and lies down so he isn't looking out, poor fella. I don't drive so carrying a crate in and out of someone Else's car is too much for me. I can't carry it on my own anyway.

I had a Yorkie who was the opposite, she was only sick when she couldn't see out! I'll try it with a little pet carrier I have, but I don't think he'll want to go in that. It's only on long journeys after about an hour. he doesn't like getting in the car now and he needs to be able to do that for his Silver Good Citizen Award. Of course that's by the by, I just want him to be happy.

Thank karlin :)

Last edited:
Pauline, that is a very dangerous way to travel and is also would be illegal in many countries. In an accident he would be smashed into the dashboard or the dashboard would cave in one him and he would be crushed or have his head smashed. If he was thrown around in a crash he would potentially knock you unconscious. In addition if you have airbags your dog would be killed immediately if in the front seat and worse, the pressure could casue the dog to potentially disembowel YOU or at the least cause serious abdominal damage if he were in front of you. If he is on a long enough lead clipped to you to be on the next seat then you could easily have your neck broken as he was thrown about on that lead in a collision. A 25mph collision could throw a dog at over 150mph into the dashboard. We'd never carry a baby in this way -- the same dreadful results would happen to a dog of the same size if simply tethered in a car. Babies need to be safely restrained in a carrier; so do dogs. :)

You need to get him into a specially made harness for dogs clipped into the back seat, or into a crate. It sounds like harness would be a good solution for example:

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=232

Also note they carry a calming cap -- this is a little cloth cap that goes over the dog's head and limits their site -- this can really help too. Ypu can find both harness and cap at various training or dog sites or PM TKC.

I cannot stress this enough -- this is such a high risk way of travelling for both the dog you love and for yourself or any car passengers. There are people on the board who can verify how potentially devastating an accident can be, from experience. (y)

On a lighter topic, I also meant to give a link to some dog biscuit recipes for you. :) There are two here:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=8820

Oh my goodness, I'm glad you told me. Just so you know I was trying to keep him safe, Dylan does wear a car harness just like the one in your link but now I see he should be in the back. Do you think it should be clipped to the lap strap or the cross over chest strap of the car? I hope you know what I mean?

I feel like a bad Mum :confused:

Travelling

Hello,

I think you will find you pop the belt through a loop on the harness before fastening so both the lap and chest straps go through. Mine always travel in the back in a guardsman cage.

A few tips for travel sickness that you might find useful, firstly as Karlin has suggested, do not feed Dylan before the trip, I also find that Bach Rescue Remedy given half an hour before the trip works well, I have also given "sealegs" but only half the recommended childs dosage (My vet actually recommended trying this) but it can make them drowsy.

Another tip, and one I use especially on younger dogs travelling long distance to shows, is to invest in a short sleeved baby vest (age 6-9 months should be ok) and pop it over the dogs head and pop front legs through sleeves like a T-shirt, then if he is sick you only have the vest to wash and not him! I also take spare bedding, some kitchen roll and multi-purpose cleaner spray to clean the cage out with just in case! I always work on the theory that if I have the kit with me I won't need it, I forgot it once, rushing at the last moment, give you 3 guesses what happened? Yep! You got it :rotfl: One very smelly car and dog to clean up after a 3 hour drive, PHEW!!

Hope this has been of help?

I have a couple of bottles of Rescue Remedy I bought for myself!
We take a towel and a sick bowl!!

:thnx:

i must actually get 2 of these car harnesses as we will be going off during the summer with the 2 boys!

Poor Dylan i hope u get something to help make it be a better experience for the lil man

Back