Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well this beats all...

Post Thanks / Like

Now I remember why that site name is so familar! Its because of the location - I have read the blog companion site before. I'm glad my own breeder was in my neck of the woods was upfront with both sm, mvd, knees plus vaccinations, why to spay right down to the famous cavalier scoot all on our first visit!

The health section is for other health website links where as Article Library are articles they have written themselves. Oh well, I was just trying to give the benefit of the doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow. It is frightening that people can set themselves up as authorities on a subject and have so little knowledge.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it is less to do with lack of knowledge than a choice made on what to say about the condition, as there's no doubt the person is familiar with ongoing research. This person is considered an informed health source more broadly on cavalier conditions. I am told (by some who contacted her) that she was contacted about this article and its figures quite some time ago and asked where they came from, but she clearly has chosen not to remove or revise it in the time since it was posted, though much more is known about the condition now than when this was written. It IS very outdated, and on a different site, she does offer basically the same information, a bit more up to date, but without the figures. Because it is the sole article on SM on her breeder site, and because she is known for offering information on breed health, this could unfortunately be taken as an informed article by the average person visiting the site for more information on important health conditions. It is a shame the article hasn't been pulled or updated, given the detail available on the site on other key conditions like MVD. It's a curious stance to take. Fortunately there is now a wide range of information available online on SM for those interested in learning more, so the figures would likely, by now, stand out as not fitting in with even the most conservative figures. Perhaps it will be updated in the future.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    because she is known for offering information on breed health, this could unfortunately be taken as an informed article by the average person.
    That is shocking! It's one thing for a uninformed or unprofessional breeder to do this sort of thing - but how does one rise in their community to such a status and get away with it. In a perfect world, that mistake will cost them their professional reputation or hopefully so, in time.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

even I'm surprised that this breeder claims such a stupid figure.

I'd ask to see the website, but would only get more wound up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Well this beats all

This might of a wee bit of interest to the List ,particularly in the UK

In the Scotsman Newspaper 30 -4- 07 yesterday,was an article mentioning that Government Ministers in Edinburgh and London are preparing to Ratify a Europe wide Treaty

The European Convention on the Protection of Pet Animals
    This Treaty has already been signed by 18 other members of the European Union

The Kennel Club in Britain ,surprisingly,is one of the strongest voices against signing the Convention

the KC is actively lobbying Parliament trying to persuade the Governmentthat it has suitable mechanisms in place in place to ensure that Dog Breeds remain Healthy

I do hope that this does not include the Accredited Breeders Scheme
    Ive recently contacted them about why Accredited Breeders are not required to Heart Test their Breeding Stock before a mating takes place ,since around 50%of Cavaliers could have a Heart Murmer by 5 Years of age
    This means that Approx 13,000 Cavaliers were registered last year by the KC , and 6,000 of those Cavaliers could be suffering from a Heart Murmer in 5 years time.

I couldnt quote the KC Accredited Breeder Scheme CO-Ordinator SM Figures ,but made him aware of the problem in the Breed

The reply I got back ,was that ,it was not a Requirement under the ACC Breeder Scheme to Heart Check ,that the KC Must have a way of independently checking the results ,and this is not possible until the KC establishes an official Heart Testing Scheme

Perhaps ,when the European Convention on the Protection of Pet Animals by Britain ,this will focus the KC's Mind !!!

I believe that Mandatory Health Tests are a requirement

This would surely include MRI Scanning for Syrinxes in the fight against SM

Bet