Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: post-neuter problems???

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you guys want a second opinion vet I can give you a suggestion. Drop me a PM and let me know who you are seeing at the moment.

To me this just sounds like it is separate to his surgery and coincidence in the timing.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question

thanks for all of your support-it really means a lot! the possibility of indy not being fit to travel is the LAST thing i expected to have to worry about before flying over. thank god my DH is around for a couple more weeks just in case indy has to delay his trip!!! i would be so brokenhearted without the 2 of them.

sooooo we went to the vet today and indy was seen by a different vet in the same practice. he got a very thorough examination and the vet found

(TMI warning)

some pus at the base of indy's penis and said that it didn't look healthy---no surprise there. so he took a swab and we'll get the results next week. he also didn't like the look of the skin around indy's lower abdomen. i noticed it had been a bit dry looking, but didn't recognise it as a problem. it's nothing urgent and the vet suggested getting it checked out in america as a biopsy would take a long time to get results. so it seems that there is some infection, but they aren't sure why. the actual site of the surgery is much lower and looks great.

in the meantime, after all the poking and prodding (poor indy---and mommy for becoming WAY more intimate with indy's genitals than i EVER expected to be ) indy got an injection of painkiller and antibiotic. he has a lot of antibiotic tablets for next week and also double the amount of predinisone. i'm just so relieved that at least they have found SOMETHING wrong and hopefully things will be clearer when we go back on wednesday.

the vet recommends the meds for now and to make indy comfortable enough to travel and then to deal with any of the leftovers once we've moved. i'm happy enough to do that for now and hopefully the meds will clear things up anyway

karlin i have pm'd you!

k
    Mom of Indiana Jones 'Indy' (Ruby male)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

oh goodness poor Indy

I really hope they've now found the cause...I'm shocked that the other vet didn't want to listen...

I hope this is what is causing the problems...and that it's not SM.

My entire dog with SM does actually chew at the side of his penis - where there are nipples? We were planning on getting him neutered but he's so well at the moment we really don't want to do anything that could upset that. Although there doesn't seem to be any definite evidence that surgery/anaesthesia can affect SM, I do know of at least one dog who has been worse following anaesthesia {spay op}.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I am so glad they have found something and hopefully he will be provided with some relief. How frustrating the other vet didn't find anything.
    Luvzcavs xx
    Harry (tri) and Digby (blen).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I sure hope the meds sort poor little Indy out. Poor little man.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

how sorry to hear this,please tell us all ,how is he now.

Post Thanks / Like

OOOh, I hope poor Indy is all sorted out now, no wonder he couldn't leave it alone.

Post Thanks / Like

hi again----thanks for your kind messages!

indy is feeling much better thank goodness! we are keeping the collar off of him during the day when he is supervised so he nearly doesn't have to wear it except for when he is sleeping we still catch him licking, but that's it---actual licking rather than attacking which is such a relief! the pain pills must be having a good effect. i can tell that he's still a bit inflamed, but we are going back to the vets tomorrow morning to get the results of the swab so that should sort everything.

i'm sure that indy will be ready for his big trip next wednesday!!! i did a bit of googling about this problem and i'm pretty sure i know what's wrong with indy. i'll update with details and care instructions after the vet visit tomorrow in case this happens (hope not!!!) to any of our other cavvie gentlemen in the future.

k
    Mom of Indiana Jones 'Indy' (Ruby male)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What a relief -- that is great news. I'm so glad he is feeling better and that in turn must make you a lot less anxious given all that is going on for you right now with the move!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is most excellent news. I am so pleased that Indy is feeling much better. Sure sounds like you & your vet are on the right track.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~