Thread: dog toy safety

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default dog toy safety

Back in the 80s when I got my first dog, a poodle mix named Heidi, I took her to puppy and obedience training regularly. The trainers were a couple who bred and showed Siberian Huskies.

They were probably the best trainers I've ever worked with, because they taught us so much about dog safety and health as well as obedience, with mostly rewards based training, back when dominance/wolf theory was so popular. They seemed to be far ahead of their time.

Regarding dog toy safety, they taught us that throwing solid or nearly solid rubber balls and other toys is very dangerous, as a small dog's jaw can easily be broken when trying to catch something heavy. As well, these heavy toys when thrown can hit the dog's head or face, causing irreparable eye injuries to breeds having 'buggy' eyes, such as cavaliers.

Another type of toy that is very dangerous is any toy (such as a tennis ball) attached to a rope, because when the dog does a 'death shake' with it, the ball or whatever is on the end of a rope can hit the dog's head and face causing permanent eye injuries.

I hope I haven't upset anyone - I've tried not to be too descriptive. Our trainers actually described injuries, which I've carried in my mind all these years.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

very sad to have to say that what you have said is very true, a neighbour lost his dog because of a solid rubber ball, he through the ball for the dog to catch witch she did but she swallowed it, it lodged in her throat and they were unable to get it out, by the time they got her to the vets she had died of a heart attack, she was just 14 months old, i would urge any one with solid rubber balls to through them away.
    Lynne

Post Thanks / Like

Timely post...

Just the other day Beauregard was carrying around his hard rubber ball with the bell in it... and joined the rest of the group tearing out the door barking at something. So he's trying to bark, but that ball is stuck up in there. He probably couldn't swallow it, but I'm not sure he could let go of it either that time. I think I may have to make that ball 'dead' now.

I would've never thought about the tennis ball/other hard things on rope being a problem. Ours don't spend much time 'killing' things anymore, but it sure makes sense what you're saying.

KC

Post Thanks / Like

What a horrible thing!!!! I am going to make sure not to buy these items for my little girl.... Thanks for this advice, it may save someone's dog in the future!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Cathy, this is just the kind of info that needs passing around, things most of us wouldn't even complicate until the worst happens.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the kind of thing you don't think about until someone tells you about it. Thanks for the info Cathy!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for that cathy!!! indy loves shaking and 'killing' his toys and i never thought of the possibility of injury from balls or other heavy things attached to ropes. such warnings are always appreciated

k
    Mom of Indiana Jones 'Indy' (Ruby male)