• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cooper update - I think we're home free!

cooper&fergus

Hi everyone.

A final update on little Cooper. He is now 2 months from his last knee op. Vet said that at this point if he's managing the appropriate amount of walking without limping he can get on with his normal life. He's now not in the pen at all. Walking beautifully, has been a bit naughty and done some jumping! but has managed multiple jumps on and off the couch and bed with no problems at all! He's playing with Fergus again. He has been in the backyard to go toilet a couple of times without a leash. He's a very happy puppy again. He's got an appointment with vet next week for his annual check up and his vaccinations so we'll get his knee checked for 1 final time...the vet didn't necessarily want another knee check up but since he's due for everything else we'll get him to see the surgeon at the same time to get the final ok.

I can't believe it but I think we might be over this awful time.

Thanks to everyone here for all their support, especially Cathy with all her wise words of experience. All the kind words here have made this ordeal so much easier for us and Cooper always loves being the centre of attention. Good luck to anyone else going through this and we are proof that even with 3 knee ops, our strong little cavies can overcome anything!

I've been reading everything I can on the surgery and following Cooper's recovery. I'm so glad everything is going well. We start with Wednesday the week after next with her surgery. I'm nervous for her. Keeping her in a kennel for 8 weeks will be so hard. She's so attached to me. It's going to be a long 8 weeks! You're a great Mom to Cooper!!!

Happy to hear that Cooper is done with his long recuperation.

The confinement is the worst part of this surgery. Maggie is about 2 1/2 weeks post op and feeling so good that she is hard to confine. I keep her in her crate more than normal but have also let her be in family room with us. She thinks she is fine, and has escaped 2 times and run up or down the stairs. We hold her but she is so persistent. We have to keep her on her leash to control her. She does not understand the crate time, as she has never been confined when we were home and was actually staying gated in the family room/kitchen area alone for the last few weeks before surgery.

She is walking with a very minor limp at this time. Far better than before the surgery. So she thinks she is healed. It is going to be a long hard 5 weeks.

Good luck to Wednesday.

Diane

I'm very happy for Cooper and your family. I hope you don't mind if I ask a question? I have a 1 year old female, if something was going to happen with her knees would it already be affecting her, or can this come on at anytime or age?

That's great news. I remember when you first posted on his limp and his knee! It does seem that time will never pass when you face a long recuperation but you do all come out on the other side and it sounds like Cooper is now ready to rock and roll! :)

Excellent news!! The confinement is by far the hardest part of the whole process. But once you get into the routine it becomes...routine ;) I'm so glad to hear it's all worked out so well.

Scouty Girl - it can happen at any age. Shelby's started at about 6 months.

Maggie's Mom - I can't stress how important it is to not let her run up and down the stairs. It's hard...believe me I know!! But one misstep and you could have to go all the way back to the beginning again...definitely no fun. When Shelby was out of her pen she was on a leash. If she was sitting on our lap the leash was kept short enough that she couldn't jump off of the couch. If she was on the ground she was kept far enough from the furniture that she couldn't jump up on it.

Friday's mom - Yep, it's going to be a long 8 weeks but it does get easier the further into it you get. You'll survive and you'll be so glad you did it.

So thrilled to hear that Cooper is all healed and already starting his normal, active life with two good strong knees! :D Can't wait to see photos of him running and playing very soon!!!:snap:

Back