• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Couch

Holly

Any tips on training Oliver to sit on a blanket on my the couch? I just bought a brand new couch and I would like him to sit on a blanket when he gets up on it. When I am home, he does fine and will only come up after being "invited". But when I get home, he is inevitably on the uncovered area of the couch or sitting along the top of it! I don't want to have to start putting him back in his crate when I leave. He is so good on his own in the house!

Thanks!

Holly, don't know if this actually will work for you, or is sheer dumb luck for us, but we taught Bianca "place". We used a nice fluffy towel or you can use the blanket you are throwing on the couch all folded up. We taught her to go to that area in the kitchen, so she's not underfoot when we're trying to make dinner. Every time she goes to her "place", when we were teaching her, we popped her a little treat. Now she understands "place" in other areas. If you use the same blanket for all areas you are teaching Oliver, it may make it easier. I don't know, we're just feeling our way through this, but Bianca seems to get what we mean quite easily. good luck! :dogwlk: -Natalie

I second Ste here -- I don't think you will ever get a dog to understand it isn't allowed somewhere when you are gone; that would need to be one amazingly obedient dog to stick to one blanket.

I'd just get a nice easy throw you can put over the whole sofa when you are out. :)

Perhaps I read the post wrong. I meant for her to stay on her place when you are there, or in the near vicinity. I certainly couldn't imagine Bianca staying in one place when we were gone!

I havent used this product but there is a Scat Mat sold at Petsmart. You lay it infront of the couch or on it. It's just fabric but gives an electric shock like from a rug - it teaches them to stay off - personally I think it would teach them to fear the couch, but thought I'd mention it.

I'm for covering the couch totally with a big sheet when you out and taking it off when your home and have to look at your couch and then invite her up to sit on the blanket.

It may not work for all dogs, but I trained LUcky to sleep on a blanket at the bottom of my bed (his blanket) by picking him up and moving him there whenever he got off of the spot.

That was before we did obedience class. If you have done obedience training, I would think that you could also use the training from "Park it" or "Go to your bed" to get him to go to that blanket. (maybe you'd call it "go to your place").

Good LUck. :xfngr:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm just trying to keep my new couch clean! I will try some of the things you mentioned. I have a large, L-shaped couch so it would take several throws to cover the entire thing. I may just have to live with the hair on it and vacuum it a lot! :)

What about if you just bought her one of those nice soft, snuggly, padded little beds and put in on the lounge with some of her favourite toys in it? My 2 have taken to wanting to be in the office when I am in there and to keep them out of mischief this is what I did and they feel very special.

You could place it right next to where you sit and when you are on the lounge, sort of tap at it and invite them in. When visitors come and you don't want them to know just what a dog fanatic you really are ;) you can put it on the ground.

That's a great idea, Caraline. I will try that. I love having Oliver snuggled up with me on the couch but he brings in lots of debris, etc so I am trying to keep it somewhat contained on my new couch! My condo complex is still under construction so there's lots of dirt and dust around that will settle down once building is done... I hope! :)

Thanks everyone!

we tried for a while to keep him off the couch,but as soon as we left the room he was on that couch,so i have given up know but we have a leather sofa and he doesnt seem to damage it.this breed have to be were you are and they just want cuddles,so suits us.

That's the truth... he is such a snuggler!! He is happiest when he is sleeping in my lap! No wonder they have been called "comforter spaniels". He really makes me feel better when I am upset! :)

dont feel bad if you want him of the couch,it is up to you,i hope i didnt make you feel guilty,i dont mind him on my couch as i have had the couch for 3 yrs,i suppose i would feel not so good about it if it was my first new thing in my new house,but it will make you stressed if you keep worrying.jus.

dont feel bad if you want him of the couch,it is up to you,i hope i didnt make you feel guilty,i dont mind him on my couch as i have had the couch for 3 yrs,i suppose i would feel not so good about it if it was my first new thing in my new house,but it will make you stressed if you keep worrying.jus.

Not at all, Justine! :) I am torn between letting him up there and trying to keep my new couch clean!

recently i have taught alfie to sak to come up by speaking,if i say no he goes onto a chair,its funny because i dont allow him up in the daytime and he has accepted that,at nite he comes up because he knows it is wind down time,he never gets on the couch in the day time because he misses out on things so he follows me around the house ,he is a good well behaved dog,thats because i dont work though.just keep training him he will learn ,only when he is asked he can come up.

Ok, here is a good solution :p Sell the cloth lounge & buy a leather one you can wipe over with a damp cloth. {C runs for cover & ducks behind a rock, while Holly pelts her with stones}
fright_octapus.gif

Ha ha...that's pretty funny Caraline!! Where were you when I was buying my new couch?? :)

That's the problem with buying a new place... you want to buy all new stuff, too!! And then me and Oliver will be (as my dad likes to say) eating "grass sandwiches" because I bought too much new stuff for my place!

Back