• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Mucky Pup

niamhx

Hi what does everyone use to bath there cav with? We were weeding the garden yesterday and finn had so much fun playing in the flowers beds he looks a bit grey now :lol: He's got very dirty feet:paw:

Hi Niamh, I use a lovely anti tangle shampoo, its made by Johnsons, it is pink and it smells lovely for weeks after the bath. You should be able to pick it up in any pet shop or garden centre.

I use any good quality dog shampoo & separate conditioner. I don't think you are supposed to use human shampoos on dogs, not even baby shampoo, as the Ph balance is not correct & cause skin irritations.

I try not to use shampoo every time. If my dog is just a bit dusty looking but not really mucky, I will rinse well with warm water, use conditioner & then rinse it off.

A lot of times when they get really muddy and look all disasterous, just letting them dry naturally & then giving them a really good brushing will have them all pristine & clean again. :D My boys do get... well a bit boy smelling sometimes, and then it is the full bathing that they get.

Thanks will have a look out for a good quality shampoo. :D

I tried to brush him first with no luck I don't like to wash my dogs much as it take all the good oils out of their skin. I wanted to leave him to see of he would clean himself no chance think he likes been mucky:rotfl:

My breeder said to use a good quality human shampoo. She is a qualified groomer and has her own grooming business so I'd like to think she knows her stuff. I don't know about ph balance for dogs but it works better than the dog shampoos I have used, no itching, very soft. I find dog shampoos strip the oil off completely. I use Aussie Mega shampoo and Aussie Mega Instant Conditioner (On my hair too)and Johnson's baby shampoo on the face. I have a shampoo for white dogs which I use on the tip of Dylan's tail and feet to brighten them up. There's no buildup with Aussie and it turned my hair from dull to very shiny and it improved Dylan's ears which were a little dull.

For Stewie ( my shih tzu) I use "Seltzen Blue" because it is supposed to help with yeast overgrowth.

With my cavies, I use John Paul Pet's (put out by Paul Mitchell) Moisturizng shampoo and their leave in conditioner. It smells so good!!

I used to use Paul Mitchell on me! I used to find I needed to use a lot as it doesn't lather up much. Does the dog version do this too?

I used to use Paul Mitchell on me! I used to find I needed to use a lot as it doesn't lather up much. Does the dog version do this too?

Not really. I am really impressed with their dog products. I have several different types (almond oil conditioning spray, lavender leave in conditioner, tea tree oil shampoo, moisturizing shampoo etc) I got them highly discounted because I bought them at the international beauty convention last year (supposed to be for hair stylists only) and I have yet to run out!

Last edited:
ph

It is true that no matter what quality of people brand shampoo you use the ph is balanced for us and not our pets.
Its always recommend to use a dog shampoo.
If you can find it HyLyt Shampoo is amazing! You can get it from a vet office.
It has a great great smell!

"a gentle, hypoallergenic, soap-free formulation with natural moisturizing factors and essential fatty acids for luxurious cleansing of normal, dry or sensitive skin. HyLyt contains emollients for moisturizing and protein for conditioning. Optimal pH balance and enhanced with essential fatty acids (efa) for dermal re-nourishment. HyLyt Shampoo may be used in conjunction with topical therapeutics."
:)

I absolutely LOVE PurePet's "Pure Pearl" Shampoo! It smells so good, is tearless, and makes their white simply glow!
I use it before we go to shows, as well as a general all-purpose shampoo. Plus, it's not very expensive!
You can get it on their website: www.purepet.com
But, you can find it cheaper elsewhere by doing a google search for it.
I get it at www.petedge.com!

pa0804_f.jpg

I use Quistel shampoo and conditioner. It's organic and I find it works really well. However, I noticed Twinkle's white patches were looking a little grey recently so I bought Wahl shampoo for white coats. It smells lovely and brings the white up on Twinkle and Brandy's coats really well.

I swear by a range called Groomers www.groomers-online.com I use their banana and mango day to day shampoo on my lot and it smells as good as it sounds, plus it gives a really good deep down clean too! I usually follow it with their wonderful Avacado and Mint conditioner, equally yummy smelling!

Back