Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What chewy treats are good for dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What chewy treats are good for dogs?

I am trying to find a healthy treat for Wrigley to chew. I have tried him with small marrow bones, but he is scared of them! He does like the little rawhide bones. His mouth is very small and I have found a perfect size one for him which he loves, but my husband says they are not really good for dogs. What else can I give him to chew as a tastey, healthy treat?

Post Thanks / Like

~not knowing how near the truth is,
    we seek it far away~

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that its better to give compressed rawhide treats because sometimes if a dog bites off a big piece of rawhide it can cause an obstruction because it is difficult for them to digest. The compressed rawhide is small pieces stuck together so it supposedly lessens that risk. I am always a bit cautious with the rawhide and only give it to Oliver when I am there just in case. Has anyone else heard this?
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like

Bully sticks are a big hit. And also Sam's Yams and Sam's Bichon Fries. They are healthy and take a while to chew. Dog.com has them discounted and offers free shipping.
    Lenee
    Mom to Charlie (tri-color boy born on 12/29/06)

Post Thanks / Like

I second bully sticks; my dogs go nuts for them. Beware though, they smell like a**!! Hold off on kisses until after you brush their teeth

You can't go wrong with a stuffed kong either!!
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I've never tried him on the bully sticks. Can you only buy them online, or can you get them at a regular Petsmart? I need to go there this week and return his RC food. Do they come in a pack and are they mega bucks?!

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy them individually, or as a pack. Like someone mentioned before, Dog.com sells them discounted. I would try him on one and see how he does (they gives my Cody the runs, but then again...so does everything else. 3 out of my 4 dogs do great!)

I believe at Petco/ petsmart they are 3 for $10, but one will last him a long time
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried the Booda bones?
    Mom to Harley & Carley (7months)

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought Oliver his first bully stick after reading about them here. He LOVES it!! And I feel much more at ease about giving him that than rawhide because it says it's fully digestible!
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    I've never tried him on the bully sticks. Can you only buy them online, or can you get them at a regular Petsmart? I need to go there this week and return his RC food. Do they come in a pack and are they mega bucks?!
    Be careful with your bully stick sources.. be sure you know where they come from. The links I posted for KnineKountry and Bullysticksonline have excellent products. Some things from the discount pet stores come from overseas and iffy suppliers. The larger the quantity purchased the less the cost. I have four dogs and I buy a minimum of 100 at a time. I keep them in the freezer so they stay fresh, and that also cuts down on the smell.
    ~not knowing how near the truth is,
    we seek it far away~