• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

More diarrhea woes

Remali

I was making the switch over to Evo, and in the beginning Bentley had some loose stools. I added a little canned pumpkin. Well, starting last night his diarrhea worsened, it wasn't watery, but it was pudding-like. So....I gave him one half of an Imodium this morning (after the third diarrhrea episode) and I decided we will go back to feeding California Natural, he did the best on that. Otherwise, Bentley is alert and happy, and not in any discomfort, so I do think it is due to the food switch. To be on the safe side I am sticking close to home today though, and keeping an eye on him. He is still happy and playful and running around though, so that's good. But, it sure seems he has a lot of intestinal troubles, I've never encountered this before with my other dogs, but then I never had a Cavalier till Bentley either. Are Cavaliers a little bit more prone to colitis and bowel troubles? Seems some of them have sensitive tummies and food allergies.

Anyway, my little boy is resting on my bed now, with his buddy Bailey. He seems OK, but I get a bit worried when he's not doing 100%.

I haven't got any advice, but just wanted to say... poor little fellow & I hope he is feeling much better tomorrow.

AWww, I hope he feels better.

Lucky had the big "D" over the weekend. he stayed the night with my sister but he's been fine since he's home with me. I think for Lucky a lot of his issues are stress related ... Lynn did feed him a lot of treats, but he also got sick when he stayed with Molly during my vacation ... such a needy little mama's boy I have!!! :rolleyes:

Could there be anything that is upsetting Bentley that could be contributing?

My vet told me in the beginning that Cavaliers because they are so needy can tend to get stress colitis, which I think is what has recently been plaguing Lucky.

:hug: to Bentley and hope his tummy feels better soon.

I tried Oliver on Evo for a bit but switched because the vet told me that it was too high in protein for some dogs and could cause kidney issues...I don't know if that makes sense, though,...?? Now he eats reagular Innova and does just fine. It seems like he goes to the bathroom less on it.

Thanks everyone! Bentley is a very sensitive and needy dog, he loves his momma, lol. Maybe he got a little stressed out when I was gone all day on Saturday and that added to it. (I've not been working the past few months so have been home a lot, and I was gone much of the day to a horse expo on Saturday, so maybe that added to it). He seems to be doing OK tho, and maybe the stress and the new diet was just too much. That would make sense to me. Leave it to me to have a dog with intestinal issues.....colitis runs in my family, lol! So Bentley and I are quite a pair!

Poor Lucky, hope he does OK and stays "D"-free, Lucky and Bentley may need to form a club for dogs with the big "D"! :lpy:

cuddles for bentley---poor little love! it sounds like his tummy and heart are attached! cavaliers can be such sensitive little creatures can't they? indy has had an awful time with his tummy so i can commiserate! please send a membership application for indy if you start the big "D" club ;)

I feel your pain!! Switching food for my Cody is always a fiasco, as his tummy gets upset by the smallest of change. I don't know if you have tried this yet, but here:
~ What I discovered through this forum is when he gets the runs, to fast (no food, no treats) for 24 hours.
~When that time is up, give him boiled chicken and rice until his stools are back to normal.
~Once they are (which for Cody is usually within a day or so) start adding bits of the new kibble to the chicken and rice.
~It usually taks about 3 days for Cody to make the entire switch as I add a bit more kibble each day, but it really seems to prep his tummy for the new food.

Don't neccissarily give up on the Evo just yet, it is such great quality! How long was the transition time between switching him over?

I think it has been about 7 days for the Evo....and I suspect that the stinker (Bentley) was picking out the Evo and leaving the old dog food, so he no doubt ate too much Evo and not enough of his old dog food, he really liked the Evo. I'm going to put him on the boiled chicken and rice, I've had to do that before and it really made a huge difference. He's been pretty perky today, but now he just turned up his nose at some canned pumpkin, and he's never done that before, but he's also pretty sleepy right now too.

Yep, I think we need to start a Big "D" club for these doggies, LOL!

Hi!

When my dogs get the "trots" I starve for 24 hrs, then give boiled chicken and rice as previously advised, I also give a teaspoon of kaolin to help settle the tummy a bit, one thing to steer well clear of though is anything dairy as this will upset the tum a bit more.

Hope Bentley is feeling better soon!

I'm lucky that Scout hasn't had diarrhea for months.

However, Breeze, the Newf has had it for four days now. I'm working with her with chicken, rice, pepto and pumpkin. So far nothing is working. Might have to take a trip to the vets, ugh. She has a VERY sensitive tummy. Cavaliers are so small try having Newf with diarrhea....:( :( :(

Oh my gosh, I can't imagine having a Newfie with diarrhea, I hope things get better for you soon too.

Bentley gave me a bit of a fright when his stools got quite watery this afternoon, and I put in another phone call to my vet, I was all prepared to take Bentley in if need be, but after my vet had me check Bentley's gums, and asked me a few more questions, during my phone call Bentley then seemed to relax a lot more, so I didn't take him in.... and he is now sleeping comfortably. Hopefully we'll have a quiet and restful night with no more episodes. I will take a stool sample in to the vet tomorrow morning, just to be on the safe side. Bentley's tummy/intestines were pretty loud for a while, but the second dose of Imodium seemed to have calmed that down.

Cavaliers are so small try having Newf with diarrhea....:( :( :(

I feel your pain...it's bad enough with small dogs...big dogs...ewww:eek:

Sure hope Bentley is feeling better tomorrow. It's so hard when they don't feel good.

Well, he seems better this morning, altho I've withheld his food and he hasn't had any more "D" episodes. He did act pretty weird last night tho, like he was not feeling good at all, at one point I found him laying on the bathroom floor in the corner and that sure scared me, I thought we were going to be leaving for the vet this morning (I picked him up and he then stayed on the bed all night with me after that), but he is wagging his tail now and seems better. One thing tho, now my Poodle has a bit of a mushy stool this morning, it is formed, but it is soft for him and orange colored....I am wondering if the canned pumpkin didn't agree with them for some reason? Bentley's last poo was yellow-orange too, and now Bailey's was a bit orange too, and I gave them a little pumpkin yesterday. Maybe I won't feed that and see what happens. Today I will try a very small amount of boiled chicken and rice for them. And the vet suggested Gatorade for Bentley because he hasn't been drinking much. Hopefully things will continue to improve. I'm so nervous.

Just an update.....Bailey now has diarrhea. Bentley, at least for now, seems to be back to normal and is doing OK, he is running and playing and hasn't had any more bouts of diarrhea. Bailey at least doesn't appear ill, and otherwise is acting normal and playful, but now he has "D". Back to the boiled food diet for us!
:(

I'm so sorry!! I know how miserable this can be :( Perhaps they are giving a bug back and forth to each other?

Fell your pain!

My Ladybug has gone through the same problem time after time in the past year. The first thought was her nerves because diet change wasn't working. She was at the vet so many time trying to get this diarrhea under control. The first I heard that other Cavalier are just as sensitive was when I found this site. She did do better on home cooking but, I did go through several dog foods and finally........found one that work. (Royal Canin Canine Health Nutrition Mini Special 30 & Royal Canin Canine Health Nutrition Mini Puppy 33) The puppy food is for Lightingbug. Here the information about Health Nutrition Mini Special 30

Dog Food For Sensitive Small Breed Adult Dogs
From 10 Months to 8 Years of Age
Poor feeding habits such as mixtures of foods, homemade preparations and treats can lead to digestive sensitivity and fussy eating habits. MINI dogs need a balanced and consistent diet.
MINI History
MINI Dogs
MINI Origin
MINI Info
EXCEPTIONAL TASTE
Encourage the Delicate Appetite of the Sensitive Small Breed Adult
Whether they are truly sensitive or just a little fussy, some small breed dogs may not enjoy and even sometimes refuse to eat their food. To restore their desire to eat, a diet in the form of softer kibbles suited to their jaws and with intense flavors may prove to be essential.

Exceptionally tasty because of exclusive natural flavors and a selection of very high quality ingredients, like Chicken and Salmon.

DIGESTIVE SAFETY
Provide for the Digestive Sensitivity of the
Sensitive Small Breed Adult
Some small breed dogs have fragile digestive systems, which may lead to mal-absorption of the nutrients contained in their food. A targeted nutritional answer, rich in fermentable and non-fermentable fibers and low in starch, favors a well-balanced intestinal flora, reducing the risks of digestive disorders.

Contains fructo-oligosaccharides (Chicory Extract), a non-digestible carbohydrate, that favors balanced intestinal flora and may help to reduce the risks of diarrhea.

COAT HEALTH & BEAUTY
Healthy Skin and a Beautiful Coat for the
Sensitive Small Breed Adult
A beautiful coat and soft, supple skin is the best sign of the dog’s good health. A diet deficient in essential nutrients can have an immediate and visible effect.

Chicken Fat and Salmon Oil as sources of omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids are combined with Zinc, chelated for easier absorption, and vitamins A and C for healthy, supple skin and a beautiful, glossy coat.

She eat's the food and NO DIARRHEA!

Thanks Brenda! I think I may call my vet and ask about new food for them. I think I may have to get that dog food thru my vet, or, maybe not?? At any rate, I really appreciate any and all advice, I am so worried. I talked to the vet again and he suggested liquid Imodium, one-fourth teaspoon. I gave them both a little bit of boiled rice and boiled chicken this afternoon (they hadn't had anything to eat now for a day and a half), so far Bentley is OK with it, but Bailey had a very small amount of diarrhea. I gave them a small portion of food though, just doing it very gradually. That Mini 30 might be good for both my boys, especially Bailey, he is a very finnicky eater and has a hard time with the larger kibble, his mouth is so tiny.

And, if it is a bug, and not a diet issue, yes, I think they may be giving it to each other. :(

Pet store

You can get this level of Royal Canine at pet stores.....they have a pretty small bag to try out. Pets Mart and Petco both took the dog food back that Ladybug wouldn't eat or didn't work! $$$$ saving

Oh, OK, I can call the pet food store where I get my dog food, I bet they'll have it. Right now (knock wood) they seem to be doing OK, so I'm hoping we're on the mend here.

diarrhea Thank you

Huge thanks from Smudge and his mum.Poor little fellow felt really rough brought up his breakfast and then had the runs.Starved him for 24hrs. then fed little bits(chicken and rice. He would not entertain the scrambled egg my friend suggested) oops here we go again Mum will have to dash keep the door open. I am fed up now you keep washing my tender bottom.Looked on this site. Two doses of imodium later -food please I am starving. Yes he is fine now and is very grateful.
Love and licks Smudge xxx

Back