• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog safe carpet shampoo?

Remali

I plan to clean my carpets soon, and I am going to rent a carpet shampooer and do it myself, but then I got to thinking about how safe some of the carpet shampoos are for our pets? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? A friend of mine has mentioned some of those Melaleuca cleaning products, altho I am not familiar with that brand (altho I have heard of it) and also I have no idea if it is pet-friendly.

Great question, wish I had an answer! I would be very interested in what others say.

We have just one room in our house that is carpeted. All we have ever done is shampoo it normally, then go over it twice after that with clear water.

Well, that is a good idea....to just go over it an extra time with clear water. I worry about chemicals that may be left in the carpet, but by going over it twice, that would do the trick I bet.

I'm interested too. :) I just moved into an apt with Carpets that desperately need cleaning ...

I'm interested too. :) I just moved into an apt with Carpets that desperately need cleaning ...

A little off topic, but isn't that your landlord's responsibility? I own rental properties and I always clean the carpet when a tenant moves out. Or are you concerned about what the landlord might use?

In my case (I rent an apartment too) the landlord states in my lease that when I move out I have to hire a professional to clean the carpets, and it has to a carpet cleaning service that the landlord approves of. I was actually told that my landlord couldn't do that though, so I'm not sure. But, in my case, my carpets weren't really all that clean when I moved in to this apt. a year ago, and now after one year they look real grungy, and of course today Bentley has had a few accidents on the carpet near the kitchen/door area, so I want to clean them up nice. Poor Bentley has had some major "D" troubles, and I do have puppy pads down for him and he does manage to hit them very well, but his "D" has been kind of bad, so he has had a couple of little accidents. He seems to be doing better now though, poor little guy. Anyway....I was curious about which carpet cleaning solutions/products were pet-safe, maybe somebody will enlighten us yet...

Not to take the thread too much off topic because I know a lot of people might be interested in the answer on the carpet cleaners ... I know Renee and I are both are! :)

But re: Landlord's responsibility ... the rental market here is very very much NOT a renter's market ... rents are through the roof and to find a reasonably priced apt that accepts pets is near impossible. I looked for 4.5 months before I found my place - it accepts pets, is in a safe neighborhood & is priced under the market value for my area (market value here is about $1500 for a 2 bedroom in a multi-family house). So ... I was just happy to have a home!! Maybe I'm too good of a tenant, but in his defense, my landlord has been very responsive to my requests to have small things tweaked/fixed, and he installed all new kitchen cabinets before I moved in, but getting the carpets looking nice was apparently not on the list ...

I just bought a carpet shampooer. It cleans hard floors (tile and wood) as well. We shampooed our den carpet in Florida. It is only seven months old but is the most traficked area. All of the other main living areas have tile.
We really should have done wood. Anyway, we used the shampoo then clear water. But I was thinking of using Nature's miracle in the machine. Maddy did have a few accidents on this rug initially, and even now if she ever does have an accident it is in there as the door to her outside area is in there.
Pam

using natures miracle in the machine is a good idea at last to discourage repeated accidents ...

UGH ... guess how I woke up this morning?? 3 am, Lucky whined in his crate. I let him out he zoomed into the living room and right back and then did not go to the door so I figured he didn't need to go out afterall (and I was tired ...) Put him in the crate and went back to bed ...

This morning I woke up to a pile of poo on the living room carpet ... :yikes

What a fantastic way to start the day. I'm cleaning now with a spot cleaner (becuase I HAVE to ...), but I don't like using those becuase they scare me too ...

Keep the carpet shampoo suggestions coming!!! I like the nature's miracle suggestion Pam. :rah:

We only have one room with carpet thank god all the rest are hardwood or lino ( classy!). We use a vax to clean the carpet then vax aaa pets carpet cleaner. Not sure about the availability where you are. I know you can use simple solutions in a carpet cleaner but it left a mark on our carpet so i wouldn't use it to clean a whole room. One way to get the carpet really clean is to do the whole room vertically then do the room again horizontally this seems to get all the dirt out of our beige carpet. And works providing the cleaner sucks out a lot of the water when we do this we only get slightly damp socks!. Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the good suggestions everyone, I like the idea of Nature's Miracle (wonder if they make a carpet shampoo? Will look it up...), and I like that one that Lindsay posted about too. :)

Smell is important

I have used pet store, brand big name brand .....pet ordor eleminators and the ones that say dog will not wee wee here again HA! The pet one smell bad. I have wall to wall capet use my little green machine alot and shampoo my carpet myself. "Ladybug" diarraha. I believe it bisal has a new scented shampoo lavender and orange. The chemical make-up in these produce are the same and safe. I really gotta suggest scented shampoo ......what we smell isn't alway what our visitors smell when we have pets!

Back