Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often is bloodwork necessary?

Post Thanks / Like

Default lots of tests

Hej
    I often visist the veterenary, because we visist Sweden every month
    My dogs never get fecal tests and I can´t see it is necessary to tjeck blodsampels if the dog´s feeling well!! I don´t tjeck my blood every yeaR!
    My oldest dog have some problems with his back, so visist a kiroprakter about 4 times a year and that is also ekspensive......

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, I guess from the reviews things do differ depending on country or area. I have owned dogs for 35 yrs, and 4 different vets I have used have always maintained this in the GTA Toronto area (my family members vets as well). My 4 vets have suggested it, but not demanded it. They simple give it as an option (as people we have an annual physical with blood work up - its how I found anemia 4 times, development of high cholesterol and blood in urine over the yrs - all with out symptoms) to ensure a window view of your pets health. Sometimes I do it (young pets I do for 2 or 3 yrs and very senior pets once or twice again). For fecal tests mostly I opt not to as my pets are in a controlled environment. But when Jessie was young and had the opportunity to run a family farm on occassion we did it the odd time as she got into so much (i.e. veg garden, cattle fields) upset tummy's did happen.

There is no right or wrong in opting not to or doing, but a good vet will provide the info for you to make the choice in a non-pressure way. Kodee is new, I am not familar with her habits etc.. I will opt to do it at her annual next yr for sure. Possibly at 2 or 3 yrs and then if she is obviously a healthy lil' lass, stop till she enters senior yrs and shows obvious signs of aging.
    Last edited by Kodee; 6th May 2007 at 03:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do blood work unless a general anaesthetic was being used or if the doggie was ill.

When "tests" are suggested to me, I always ask "why", if the answer isn't going to "solve" a problem, I don't bother.

We've used the same vet for over 30 years and we both know I'd rather keep cash in my own wallet unless necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you already know how I feel, huh? I think that a baseline blood test is a good idea, but don't think that doing it yearly is necessary UNLESS you are doing a dental yearly then I would definately go with the pre-anesthetic blood work.

You can't always determine the presence of intestinal parasites with the naked eye. A fecal exam is done to look at the sample under a microscope to check for eggs (or larvae). The exam is done one of two ways, either by smearing the poop directly onto a slide and looking at it or by mixing the poop with a saline solution, putting a filter in the mixture, then putting the slide on top of that. After about 5 minutes the slide is checked.

A heartworm test is also done either directly (a drop of blood on a slide) or with a test kit. In the situations I've been in, the test kit is used first and if it shows positive then you want to do a direct test. (It's not a good feeling to find the live heartworms on the direct test, but it is fascinating!)

Cathy, I'm surprised that your dogs aren't on heartworm preventative year 'round in Ohio. In KY we always used it year 'round because of the life cycle of the heartworm and mosquito. But I don't remember what part of Ohio you are in.......

Sara, the ointment you were given sounds like an antibiotic based ointment. Unless they have covered all the writing with a label, you should be able to get a magnifying glass (the writing is SMALL!) and read words like "bacitracin" and "neomycin" and "polymycin", etc. (can't think what the "H" might be).

Two of my group had yearly vx done while we were gone. You've made me look at my receipt to see what they did! (When the bill was either $700 or $900 - don't remember which - I didn't even want to look! I just considered it about half a Cavalier I had spent!) Okay, here it is. Wallis and Sasha both got their yearly exam, Adult DHP/Parvo, Rabies, Occult HW, fecal exam and kennel cough vx. Wallis also had another chest x-ray because she has been coughing and Tibby had to be treated for a hotspot.
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh crittercall, I love your medical background! It makes it all so much easier when you explain it! Hmm so maybe I got sapped into a few fecal bucks - but we are talking maybe 3x in 15 yrs at $30 so no big deal. You reminded me why I want to occassionally do the blood work to check the baseline maybe in 1st yr or 2 then again at 7 or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Debbie - I just looked at the length of my response (not even reading it) and I was embarassed. I hate to get on my soapbox - but when it comes to our critters and their health I just can't seem to help it!

Thank you for saying that I help you understand it better. That increases my feeling of self-worth. I like to understand everything that is going on and I want to try to help you see that the vet isn't always just out to make a buck. Sometimes there really is a medical reason for it!
    Critter -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crittercall View Post
    Debbie - I just looked at the length of my response (not even reading it) and I was embarassed. I hate to get on my soapbox
    No one on a board should be embarrassed to get on their soap box. Its good to give each of our perspectives. I have read posts where I totally disagree and opt to handle matters differently - only to later go back read it again, and take something from it. Change is good, options are good and openness is good. If life had only one rule book the days would be pretty boring!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your response Critter. It's good to know that they have an "atual reasoning" for everything that they did. I don't feel that they did it just to dupe me out of $$, but I don't feel like it's all completely necessary every year either. I will continue to get yearly heart worm checks, i think those are very important. Other than that maybe every other year or third year we'll do the blood work, does that sound bad?

I am sure the eye ointment is for antibiotics too. I think it's to treat the lesions and raw skin under his eyes. I felt like a horrible mommy for that. Here I was thinking he was just scratching underneath there.

The good news is that his blood work came back great and his teeth/heart/knees were fantastic The lady that examined him was the nicest vet I've ever seen too.. well except for my "home town" vet that I've grown up with, but you can't really compare to that.

Also I still have to remember that that $300 included $100 of flea/heartworm treatments for the year.

I also understand better with your explanations critter so thanks!
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

Glad that I could be of some use. I was discussing this with my friend later last night on the phone and she had similar questions, such as why did her dogs need fecal exams when they are primarily house dogs and if they are out they are in a fenced yard. She hadn't considered the fact that she lives in the middle of a wooded area and that any kind of wildlife could come into her back yard, poop, her dogs could get into it and voila! worms!

I'm pretty disgusted with the way Wallis came home from boarding. She's healthy, that's no problem. But she is covered with flea dirt and we have removed 5 ticks from her between last night and this morning. The ticks she could have picked up in our backyard - only a couple of them were attached - but she had a bath on Friday and there is no way she should have that much flea dirt so soon after a bath. Also, whoever did the bathing didn't seem to do much brushing. I've mentioned what thick hair she has on her chest (we always refer to her as being "bosom-y") and it's full of matts now. I told the vet about it this a.m.; said that I wasn't bitching but that he needed to know about it.

Just one more thing in a long list!
    Critter -

Post Thanks / Like

Tucker had his annual check-up in September 2006. Hopefully you know the currency exchange rate better than I do. The total cost was $236.64. Breakdown of Services:

Wellness Exam.....................47.78
    EhrlAb,LymeAb,HWA Tests.....41.56
    DHPP y1.............................15.81
    Stool Specimen....................19.66
    3 yr Rabies Vac....................14.77
    6 mo supply Heartworm Prev...28.41
    3 mo supply Frontline Plus......45.30 (did I really pay that much for it!)
    Lyme Disease Vac ................19.66
    Tax .....................................3.69
    TOTAL................................236.64
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005