• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hopefully soon to be a new owner

mrsfarmer

I have been reading the forum for a few weeks, but I have been researching the cavaliers for the past couple of months. We recently lost our mini schnauzer 3 months ago, he was only 5. We had another mini before him. But now I think it's time to go with something else. Even tho the mini doesn't shed, I think the cavalier would be perfect for us. We need a great lap dog for my husband. He suffers from anxiety/depression due to farming, which we quit 3 years ago.
I think I have narrowed down to what breeder we will go with, I just have to figure out what color I want. I could get one, either blenhiem or ruby females in 3 weeks or wait until summer for possibly a tri. I think she also might have a B/T male available too, at least it is on her website yet. I have to confirm that one tho.
I have also thought of getting two, but didn't know what kind of trouble we'd be in doing that! :rolleyes:
Sorry this is getting long......I'm just excited! :dogwlk:

icon_welcome

Welcome to the board. I'm sorry to hear of your recent loss. It must, nonetheless, be an exciting time for you now having the difficult job of chosing a cav pupy! Whatever colour you go for, you're about to have a most wonderful dog enter you life. I'm almost jealous that you get to do the puppy stage - they are so lovely when small, and watching their personalities grow is such a treat.

I'm sure you'll find lots of information and good tips here to keep you going until your pup arrives home, and more importatntly, lots of support, help and encouragement, when he or she does.

Welcome to the board! I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, 5 years is way to young.:(
We have a Mini Schnauzer, Gus and a Cavalier, Abbey. Total opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of energy and personality, but that's what makes it so fun. They get along great, and Gus has really brought out a side to Abbey that we hadn't seen before--he gets her going and she loves it, so do we! It's so fun to watch them play.
Abbey is a bit more clingy than Gus, she has to be right by us, which is true to the breed, whereas Gus is a bit more independent...again, true to his breed. Abbey is also a major snuggler, as most Cavs are--she's a kisser and a lap hog. Gus is a snuggler, but he doesn't maul you like Abbey does. :D
That's great that you're doing your research, but one quick piece of advice, I wouldn't suggest getting two pups at once, it's best that they bond with you rather than w/ each other. I also believe that they need that individual time with you that wouldn't get if there were two.
Karlin has set up a great information center on what to look for in a breeder, in the Buying and Preparing for a Cavalier section. In here, there is also a thread on getting one or two pups.(y)

Sorry to say, we didn't get the cav first. We ended up going with another mini schnauzer, Trace is a crazy pup! I don't know why I thought I could raise 2 pups at once! :dogwlk: :dogwlk:
I still do plan on getting a cav, maybe this winter or next spring. We won't be able to visit the breeder until then anyway, or atleast until fall. After reading so much about this breed, I think I better check into the breeder first.
I'm so jealous of everyone getting or having their pups! But I do love our new mini too. I did find a forum for mini's but it isn't very active like this one or the other cav forum is. I'm still going to hang around here and soak in all the information!:)

Good idea, learn all you can!!

I was once apart of a Mini board, but so many of the members had very strong opinions on white not being a recognized color that I left the site. :( Oh well, Gus is an honorary Cav!:D

Sorry to say, we didn't get the cav first. We ended up going with another mini schnauzer, Trace is a crazy pup! I don't know why I thought I could raise 2 pups at once! :dogwlk: :dogwlk:
I still do plan on getting a cav, maybe this winter or next spring. We won't be able to visit the breeder until then anyway, or atleast until fall. After reading so much about this breed, I think I better check into the breeder first.
I'm so jealous of everyone getting or having their pups! But I do love our new mini too. I did find a forum for mini's but it isn't very active like this one or the other cav forum is. I'm still going to hang around here and soak in all the information!:)

Good idea, learn all you can!!

I was once apart of a Mini board, but so many of the members had very strong opinions on white not being a recognized color that I left the site. :( Oh well, Gus is an honorary Cav!:D

It is a color recognized in other countries (if I recall correctly).

And the white gene isn't a lethal gene (like some breeds) that carries minor to extreme maladies to the dog. I read some place that they are as healthy and robust as their colored counterparts. fwiw, Sandy

European clubs recognise white. Very silly for people to have an issue with a colour variation that is considered perfectly standard in the place the breed comes from, IMHO, unless there's a clear health risk element (and white does often have risks but not that that prevents the colour being bred for, with inherent risks, in many animals including pedigree cats!).

For a different view:

http://www.mscc.ca/white.html

Here, the Canadian club sets out why they do not recognise white schnauzers, But this still seems a poor defense except on the basis of their own dcision on a standard. Why they then say it means it is a poor representative of the breed simply because few white champion lines inflitrate the market in N. America due to it not being a standard colour -- that's a very location-centric view of a breed. A lot of breeds have different standards in different places but it doesn't mean those variations mean a poor quality dog.

I do understand their argument that in N. America, dogs of this colour generally come from BYBs or puppy mills and for people to be cautious about buying a colour departure. But then, so do MOST examples of ALL breeds! MOST cavaliers come from such places in the US including probably 99% of rescue cavaliers, but that doesn't mean people owning such dogs deserve criticism or their dog is any less loved and valued. Plus Gus IS a rescue! And an adorable one at that. :)

Anyway an interesting discussion. :)

Yes, white is recognized in most other clubs--including Germany where they originated from. But not in the US...go figure. :rolleyes:
When researching another dog, we let Abbey pick, for the most part. Our friends have a Mini that she loves. We then met a Schnoodle that she was very smitten with too, but if we would have decided to go with a mixed breed, we would have gone to the pound instead of paying such a ridiculous price, especially when there are so many strays and rescues that need homes. When we decided on a Schnazuer, we preferred either white or black, and we wanted to find one through a rescue. We got lucky with Gus in that it wasn't that long of a wait at all. It's fun having two, maybe three at some point...;)

And thanks, Karlin, we think he's pretty adorable as well!
IMG_1435.jpg

Last edited:
icon_welcome from Australia

Hey, when you do get your Cavalier, if you want him to be your hubby's dog, make sure that he is that one that does all the feeding, grooming etc.... You see, my hubby was the one in our family that wanted a Cavalier as his lap dog, but they have bonded very heavily with me & almost ignore him. Well I know I am likeable, but in all honestly I think being the feeder, groomer & bottom cleaner develops a special bond. :rolleyes: :D

Hey, when you do get your Cavalier, if you want him to be your hubby's dog, make sure that he is that one that does all the feeding, grooming etc.... You see, my hubby was the one in our family that wanted a Cavalier as his lap dog, but they have bonded very heavily with me & almost ignore him. Well I know I am likeable, but in all honestly I think being the feeder, groomer & bottom cleaner develops a special bond. :rolleyes: :D

I think that is what is happening with the schnauzer. I am the one who takes care of him and trains with him, so he follows me around everywhere. It makes my hubby jealous, but what can I do. He doesn't feel up to taking care of Trace as much as I do. They do spend all day together but mostly it is nap time then.
Jen- I love your white mini! and of course the cav too!!:luv:

I just adore Gus, our honorary Cavalier! I think he is just the cutest dang thing I've ever seen. Thanks for posting a new picture of him!

Gus thanks everyone for their compliments.:D The "threat" of stealing has come up before. I think if he were missing, our dog walker would be the first person I'd look for!

welcome from scotland

congratulations on your new arrival
keep us updated if you decide on a cavalier:D :D

Back