Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passing blood

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke to the vet again last night, he wasn't overly concerned, cause he had had fluids with his supplement. He said to wait until today.

Murphy has had 2 small meals of chicken and rice, and is drinking no problem today, we've even been out for a short walk. He's now snoozing again. He even wanted to play earlier so he must be feeling better.

I'm so relieved

Thanks for the support

Post Thanks / Like

so glad to hear he is on the mend.
    Yvonne

Mum to Harvey (blenheim) & Alfie (tri)xx

Post Thanks / Like

Hello!

I am sorry to hear that Murphy hasn't been well, but you have done the right thing by seeking veterinary advice, blood in the stools is never a good sign.

The main thing with this is that your dog drinks plenty of fluid, I always give mine some liquid kaolin, you can get a variety from Boots with Morphine in it, this usually works well by calming the dogs stomach down.

Another piece of advice would be to avoid anything dairy right now, I.E Eggs, cheese, milk etc as this can actually play their tums up again. Generally I starve my dogs in this situation, plenty of cold fresh water available, then once things have settled down, in about 24-48 hrs time feed a light diet of chicken and rice gradually weaning the dog back onto it's usual diet.

As Murphy has had a severe attack it will take longer for things to settle back down again, but, and please believe me on this, in a few days time he will be his old self again and you will wonder what all the fuss was about, until you get the vets bill that is!!
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry totally avoided all that stuff, it's been small meals of chicken and rice today

He's been great, he seems back to normal, just waiting on the 1st poo so we can inspect it. Nice

As for the vet bill, unfortunately that was paid yesterday, didn't realise how much extra they charged for a weekend treatment. But he's totally worth it

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm very pleased to hear he is on the mend.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't got time to read all the replies so excuse me if I'm repeating what anyone else has said.

I had a phone call from the very sweet lady who designed the Mekuti harness, Rachael Manns. I recommended this site to her and she rang me very worried about your Murphy and asked me to post this info.

She said wormers can cause the bleeding. She said the mildest wormer on the market is Milbermax. She also said that she knows a retired vet who works with homeopathic remedies who would prescribe "Aristendo". His name is James Newns. His number is 01822 833402.

Here's her web site, she also does Tellington TTouch therapy.

http://www.mekuti.co.uk/

I'll be giving her a review in the general section later when I get 5mins! My daughter came back from Sweden (minus my camera) today and my dad might need sectioning this week

Pauline xxx

Murphy's Mum told me he did in fact take Milbermax. My trainer told me Panacur is the mildest as they give that to 3 week old puppies.
    Last edited by *Pauline*; 8th May 2007 at 09:00 PM. Reason: new info
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphy's mum View Post

I asked if it could be anything to do with being wormed yesterday, but he said it was 'unlikely'

He said the blood was cause his bowls are irritated, and not to feed him until tomorrow. I'll try him with a tiny bit of chicken and rice, lucky it's Bank holiday and we're both off

Thanks guys
    Hi Murphys mum, just my experience, my George had lungworm, it causes a bleeding tendency and when he was wormed it made it worse as it killed the worms too quickly. My vet too thought the blood was a tummy irritation and treated him for that. They got it wrong and I lost him at 7 months (how old is Murphy?). Please ask for a faecal exam for worms, particularly Angiostrongylus vasorum. I don't want to frighten you but some vets are really don't know their stuff when it comes to the symptoms, worming and using the correct wormers. One of the vets I tried got all the names and treatments mixed up and I spent an hour in with him explaining them to him. I know lungworm is rare in Scotland but it used to be rare in the UK full stop but things change.

This thread might be useful http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=16598
    Last edited by George19; 9th May 2007 at 10:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poor Murphy

I so sorry to hear you are having this problem with Murphy. I to had this two week ago with my Lightingbug......I took him to ER vet they did all the poop test inject him with fluids and put him antibiotics and something to make the poop hard. He was put on a rice and cottage cheese diet and ice cube until he felt better. He was like Murphy up, down sleeping than seem like he was getting better. I keep inspecting his poop but, nothing. On the 4th day he end up at the vet on IV for dehydration they did a complete blood panle to check liver and kidney function. Lighting poop just before leaveing to the vet.....I found hard plastic one nice sharp piece. I have know idea where he got it....and eat it. I am glad he is starting to fell better....vet think he may also have had allegic reaction to the plastic. I'm broke too! But, my bug means the world to me. I sure hope you can get Murphy better too!
    Ladybug, Lighting(bug) and Jitterbug Mom..Brenda