Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dandruff/scurf

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dandruff/scurf

What's best, pedigree canned puppy food and pedigree small bites mixer or James Wellbeloved puppy complete. I am actually changing over and maybe should of asked before hand. I have noticed that he has a bit of dandruff/scurf.

Also was wondering about raw hide treats, seen some small ones that would be ideal for his size and was thinking of giving him one if he eats his meal up, so that it doesn't disrupt his feeding schedule. But not sure if he is too young for them, Barney is 11 weeks old. Wouldn't want to give him the runs. The only other thing he gets is a tiny cube of cheese for potty training.

Post Thanks / Like

I always feel a little bit nervous about giving rawhide as both the vet and the breeder said its really hard for them to digest and it can cause a blockage if they swallow a larger piece. I haven't seen anything about that on this board though- maybe people have had good experiences with it! The vet told me compresses rawhide was better as it was small pieces.
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

James Wellbeloved is way ahead of Pedigree in quality of ingredients so I'd go with JW.

Rawhides seem to split vets -- I know Kendall (Rory's mom) who worked in a vet's office said she'd asked the vets there and they said they had almost never seen many issues with rawhide chews in something like 30 years of practice. I give rawhides but those flat rectangles, not tied bones or anything that might get bitten off into small chunks. It makes sense that the compressed rawhide chips might be safest, too. I take rawhides away when they get down to a small piece.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, we thought the jw would possibly be best, specially if we need to go out for the day. I just won't bother with the raw hide treats, just thought it would give him something nice to chew on.

Post Thanks / Like

I know about changing the diet over slowly but once he is on the jw completely do you have to introduce the new flavours over time as well.

Post Thanks / Like

People here recommended the bully sticks. I had never heard of them but tried them and Oliver absolutely loved them! According to the package they are completely digestible but high in calories. I think, too, that you have to careful about where you get them, as with any animal product.
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like

I live in the Uk, I don't think I have seen them here, though I did see something else that is 100% meat, don't know what it is but boy does it smell and that's in it's packet. No preservatives or colouring in it either.

Post Thanks / Like

I change JWB over to a different flavour after every bag, Murphy is 14 months and he is ok with it

Post Thanks / Like

Just on the dandruff side you may need to add some fish oil to the diet ?or review your shampoo and make sure you brush often.
    Luvzcavs xx
    Harry (tri) and Digby (blen).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freesia View Post
    I have noticed that he has a bit of dandruff/scurf.
    I've heard people swear by the occasional egg (boiled if you like), fish oil & flax seed oil to produce a truly gleeming coat. Be careful if you decide to try flax seed oil. Most dogs tolerate it well (mine do), but some are allergic to it, I have heard. I think it is the Omega 3 & Omega 6 that really help the coat.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~