• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dandruff/scurf

freesia

What's best, pedigree canned puppy food and pedigree small bites mixer or James Wellbeloved puppy complete. I am actually changing over and maybe should of asked before hand. I have noticed that he has a bit of dandruff/scurf.

Also was wondering about raw hide treats, seen some small ones that would be ideal for his size and was thinking of giving him one if he eats his meal up, so that it doesn't disrupt his feeding schedule. But not sure if he is too young for them, Barney is 11 weeks old. Wouldn't want to give him the runs. The only other thing he gets is a tiny cube of cheese for potty training.

I always feel a little bit nervous about giving rawhide as both the vet and the breeder said its really hard for them to digest and it can cause a blockage if they swallow a larger piece. I haven't seen anything about that on this board though- maybe people have had good experiences with it! The vet told me compresses rawhide was better as it was small pieces.

James Wellbeloved is way ahead of Pedigree in quality of ingredients so I'd go with JW.

Rawhides seem to split vets -- I know Kendall (Rory's mom) who worked in a vet's office said she'd asked the vets there and they said they had almost never seen many issues with rawhide chews in something like 30 years of practice. I give rawhides but those flat rectangles, not tied bones or anything that might get bitten off into small chunks. It makes sense that the compressed rawhide chips might be safest, too. I take rawhides away when they get down to a small piece.

Thank you, we thought the jw would possibly be best, specially if we need to go out for the day. I just won't bother with the raw hide treats, just thought it would give him something nice to chew on. :D

I know about changing the diet over slowly but once he is on the jw completely do you have to introduce the new flavours over time as well.

People here recommended the bully sticks. I had never heard of them but tried them and Oliver absolutely loved them! According to the package they are completely digestible but high in calories. I think, too, that you have to careful about where you get them, as with any animal product.

I live in the Uk, I don't think I have seen them here, though I did see something else that is 100% meat, don't know what it is but boy does it smell and that's in it's packet. No preservatives or colouring in it either.

Just on the dandruff side you may need to add some fish oil to the diet ?or review your shampoo and make sure you brush often. :)

I have noticed that he has a bit of dandruff/scurf.

I've heard people swear by the occasional egg (boiled if you like), fish oil & flax seed oil to produce a truly gleeming coat. Be careful if you decide to try flax seed oil. Most dogs tolerate it well (mine do), but some are allergic to it, I have heard. I think it is the Omega 3 & Omega 6 that really help the coat.

Something else that is good for the dandruff side of things is Evening Primrose Oil, I nip the end off a capsule and squeeze the oil directly onto the feed, works very well indeed!

We changed Chester onto JW and he loves every flavour apart from the Ocean Fish one.

He dislikes it to the point that he wont go near his food - it does smell a lot stronger than the others I must admit.

We changed him back to the Lamb one & he is eating fine again now!

Forgot to mention about the dandruff, Chester suffered with this when he was on Iams but since changing him over to JW it has been lots better.

Thank you, I will try the oil in his meals. does it need to be a specific one for pets. Thought maybe the dandruff/scurf was because of the pedigree chum, so that's why I decided to change.
I brush Barney every day, although his coat isn't long yet, it is something he needs to get used to. :) His ears are coming on with little curls at the end and tufties on the top.

Many people on a rescue site, I use, reckon that Pedigree foods are too additive intensive and can cause skin problems. Mine are on James welbeloved, at the momnet, because of Teddy's possible food allergy. (Look out for special offers at Pets at Home-Are you in their pets' club, as it gives lots of money off vouchers?)

I used to give hide chews, but too often Monty has scared me by gagging on quite large pieces which he will chew, so now, they are rarely given and are the solid cigar shaped ones , about 20cm long. I also give munchy chews, though only by Armitage minty ones, as some made in the far east have questionable colouring added and have been reported to have carried viruses, too.

Thank you, Barney had his last pedigree chum today, we have changed him over slowly, though he doesn't relish the JW food as much, I'll buy him a new flavour tomorrow. Bet he would eat it more if I put a couple of tbls of gravy on it but don't want to make him finiky.;)

I think I am in the pets at home club, get stuff sent but hadn't taken much notice:rolleyes: I will have to check.:)

I got Barney some vetzyme dry skin oil, it says to put it on his food but he does not always eat it. So I put it on a spoon and let him lick it off just before he get's his meal is this ok.

I have also found a chew treat at the vets, it's a twist made of Ostrich tendons, I have had to break it up as it was too big, which took some doing. It does not go gunky like raw hide but it does shred up and Barney made a few messes but now he has learned to eat it there is nothing left when he has it. So I guess it's a good substitute for a bully stick in the UK.

Back