• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

When is the best time to get one more dog?

ourempire

Hi everybody!
Wonder if any of you can help. We have our 7 months old Ruby, Molly, who is a spoiled lonely child !cavtiny :luv:
At first we thought we would just have one dog, but quite soon after we got her, we decided to get her a sister. But: When is the best time? Some have said "right away", so she learns to cope with divided attention, some says "wait 3-4 years", so we have a grown-up dog to teach the young one good habits.
Or does it really matter? Should we just get a new dog, when we feel like it?
Molly is - of course - a female, and we will get another female. Does the gender issue play any role? I mean, regarding when it is best to bring home the new dog?
Kind regards
Charlotte, Denmark

Hi Charlotte - Molly will love you for getting her a sister! My two are about one and a half years apart, which I think is a good amount. It gave us time to properly train Katie before bringing Lexi home. As for the gender issue, there are differing opinions. I've never had any problems having two girls. They get along well and constantly play together! :)

There really is no right or wrong answer. It all depends on your lifestyle and patience. I would suggest waiting until #1 dog is housetrained-- then you have a helper in housetraining pup or dog #2. I would suggest start looking well before you really want to get the pup. If you want the new dog in June-- don't wait until the end of May to seek out good breeders. fwiw

We waited a year and a half....that was very good timint for us, as the first one was trained and we were better prepaired for the second......:D

I reckon Molly would adore a canine companion. I know some people say wait until such & such an age, but in my opinion the pleasure of company far outweighs any drawbacks of having more than one dog.... at any age. I've had multiple puppies through out my life, and yes it is more work & yes you need to dedicate separate training time for each, but for me it is always worth it.

I think when you have Molly well trained and you can afford it and of course have time to give all those cuddles and kisses required, and that's the best bit.

I think when you have Molly well trained and you can afford it and of course have time to give all those cuddles and kisses required, and that's the best bit.

That's the best answer I've ever heard!! Short, sweet, simple and right on!

We got Shelby when Jake was about a year and a half old. We started looking into getting out 2nd when he was just shy of a year. She was so easy compared to him since she followed whatever he did. Housetraining (since he was completely trained) was a snap.

Thank you for your answers!

Hi again.
Thanks for all your answers. It confirms that the most important thing is lots of hugs and kisses for both the old dog and the new puppy! We will not decide right away, but we just needed to know how much or little the age difference mattered.
Kind regards
Charlotte :D

Trainers generally recommend getting a dog of the opposite sex to the one you have for the greatest likelihood of success, but this really seems to matter less with cavaliers. I added a second boy with no problem. I think it is really once you move beyond two that problems are more likely to arise. That said, my two boys will get into the occasional fight -- but they have never fought with Lily, who has been with me for about a year. So: the boys are very close but would still get in the occasional scrap. They never fight with the female.

Most people with lots of dogs that I know have more problems with groups of females than males (eg three or more females). So in your case you'd likely be fine adding a single new female or male. :)

As for the timing -- I think for the majority of people it is worth waiting til the first dog is at least 12-18 months, housetrained and with a good amount of obedience training. You will likely never get the time to give the first much focused training after the second arrives, despite good intentions.

I got my second when the first was about 9-10 months old and in retrospect wish I had paid attention to what so many breeders and trainers said: to wait. It was immediately more difficult to give full attention to two or to take one aside to work with one, then the other -- it is just hard to do this I think for most people. It was far easier adding in my rescue girl when the boys were 2.5 years old and housetrained, each also having done obedience.

Of course there's also great pleasure in having two at any time. :) But be sure to weigh up the ability to give time equally to two from the start if one is still young and learning.

I have two males about 1-1/2years a part they got along from the first day we brought dusty home. I think as soon as the one is house broken our bobo had so much energy he was driving us crazy always wanting to play, as soon as we brought the puppy home he only wants to play with dusty. They are inseperable. The older dog helps with the house training the younger one. It is good to have two when you leave the house company for each other.
judy

Back