• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coughing

misty

Does anyone know the difference in sound between the classic MVD cough and kennel cough?

Cailean's coughing so much, but I'm wondering if it's kennel cough and not his heart. This cough is more husky/raspy than his 'normal' cough, but I may be imagining it.

He's been on extra heart meds. and antibiotics for 6 days now, with no apparent change in either his mood, his energy or his cough. :(

Maybe it is kennel cough, cos that takes a couple of weeks to clear, doesn't it?

Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

The kennel cough one is centred round the throat, harsh and usually with an open mouth, as though choking on something. The heart one is softer but can (Izzy's did)
have a harsh cough at the end. (The soft part is raspy, like you, yourself, make if you cough with your mouth closed. A vet once described it as like that of an old man's morning cough)That's why I thought Izzy's first heart coughs were kc, as he'd been in contact with it.

It's along time ago, but I think the vet said you could induce the kc cough by touching the throat.

Give Cailean some warm sweetened tea. It always helped Izzy. In fact he used to ask for some first thing.

Last edited:
I have no idea what the mvd cough sounds like but I know with the kennel cough there is a big hack at the end and as Barbara said the vet can induce the cough if it is kennel. Poor little man, hope he is feeling better soon.

Now i realise people have probably been doing this with their dogs for ever without incident and I do not wish to offend but ......... I'm not sure I agree with giving tea to our babies as caffiene is not good for them and could create a problem if on other meds ?? Maybe give a warm honey drink to soothe rather than a caffiene drink ? (sorry Barbara just mho)

Thanks for the ideas :).

Barbara, I'd never thought of warm tea. I'm going to try it with him this morning.

I won't worry about the side-effects, as the vet has confirmed it's not kc, as I knew really. Was just clutching at straws.

Long term side effects don't matter when your dog is so ill, anyway. Anything to give relief and it's only a small amount

I have no idea what the mvd cough sounds like but I know with the kennel cough there is a big hack at the end and as Barbara said the vet can induce the cough if it is kennel. Poor little man, hope he is feeling better soon.

Now i realise people have probably been doing this with their dogs for ever without incident and I do not wish to offend but ......... I'm not sure I agree with giving tea to our babies as caffiene is not good for them and could create a problem if on other meds ?? Maybe give a warm honey drink to soothe rather than a caffiene drink ? (sorry Barbara just mho)

When you realise they have a condition that is incurable you soon realise that "normal" rules dont apply as it is quality not quantity of life that is important. Plus anything that helps them to feel loved and wanted is all to the good and if they feel that way because you share your morning cuppa so what.

I am writting this as someone who has to spoon feed her dog in order for him to eat every day and even then it is a real struggle to get him to eat.

Back