• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

questions about getting into showing

Azriel

hi all-
i am just wondering if anyone has suggestions about getting into showing. i don't have my own dog yet, but my friend is getting a 6 month old dog (non-cavalier) this weekend that she wants to do therapy work with as well as obediance and agility competition. as part of the dog's training, she wants the dog exposed to many different situations and places and asked me if i would show her dog.

the dog comes from "working dog" lines and won't win any comformation event but its just for fun. it will get the dog used to different situations and will help me figure out if showing is something i would want to do with my future cavalier. me and the dog are plannign to go to a few classes at a local dog obediance school and i don't yet have any idea what that'll teach us, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!!!

I do not show in conformation but I was interested in learning more about how it works (as I found it confusing to watch). A friend who breeds and show dogs referred me to a book entitled Show Me by D. Caroline Coile. It is in paperback, relatively short and can be ordered from Amazon. There are also handling classes to which I am sure your local keenel club can refer you. Of course, the best training is to go to lots of shows and watch and to get a mentor, if at all possible. Hope this helps.

I would go to as many shows as possible and watch the handlers to learn from them. Then if you have any questions ask someone. Pick someone that has been placed but is not grooming their dog or preparing it for further showing.
Also go to handling classes. These classes are not for obedience but are to prepare you and your dog for the ring.
I had on puppy bitch that I used to bring to handling classes. One time I was just out of the challenge and I was in with my pup. She slipped her lead as I was fumbling with my ring number but she knew what to do and just followed me around. The handling classes really taught her what to do.

thanks for the suggestions... the classes we will be takign are "conformation classes" but at the obediance school.

souncds like your pup really knew what she was doing.. heehee. again, thanks!

Back