• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

lady's gone into heat advice doggie pants and the grumps?

Natalie

lady went into heat last night we noticed that she has been licking her self alot and is a little swollen she has been bleeding a little but it's very light. She's been off her food for a couple of days only eating one meal is that normal? And she's been a bit grumpy rather sit on the sofa and chew rawhide than do the zoomies is that normal? It goes without saying we will watch her like a hawk over the next month when we go outside in the garden. Does anyone think the doggie pants are worth getting? Or is it best to leave her as she is and let her sit on a blanket on the sofa. Thanks

There are a lot of posts on just this topic and these issues in the Health section recently so you might want to have alook for lengthier discussion. Basically and briefly, yes, it is normal for her to be grumpy as she is flooded with strong hormones right now; yes, they do go off their food, and if she is bleeding you may want to get the panties or she will likely drip blood on carpets and furniture.

Also: as always, it is strongly advised to get her spayed before the next heat. She now has a 7% risk of mammary cancer over her lifetime as she has gone thru a first heat; if she goes through a second heat, this will jump to 25%, which is an extremely high risk. Most people would feel this alone -- plus the lifetime high risk for unpsayed females of getting the often fatal condition, pyometra (which females can get as their heat finishes), strongly argues in favour of a spay. (y)

thanks i will have a look at those posts and yes she's definetly getting spayed need to wait for 3 months them she will have op.

Hi Natalie.....I had the pants for Lily. I bought 2, so I would have a clean pair when the other was soiled. I bought light days mini pads at the drug store. They are cheaper than what they sell at the pet store and you get 3x as many. The panties were a must have for me. Lily had a very heavy heat for the second week, and my furniture and rugs would have been a mess had I not had the panties. I went through a whole box of the pads too. I did take them off of her when she was sleeping in her crate at night. Thank goodness she is now spayed. I had to wait for medical reasons per her Vet. We are both happier now that she is spayed ;) .

Shay: i think that i will get some pants just incase her flow gets heavier and i will use human pads instead of the dog ones.

I had special doggy panties for my girls when they were in season. They were designed to slip a panty liner in, or if the flow was heavy then a more regular sanitary napkin. They tolerated them quite well, and it mean that they could still sleep on the lounge & lay about on the carpet.

Just remember to take them off before she goes outside. My husband was always a very slow learner about this, always opening up the door before removing the panties. :eek: Guess who got to deal with the soggy mess!

I am not a great fan of doggie pants i think is discourages them from washing and thats normal for a girl in heat .....i put throws on the chairs at this time and keep a mop in the corner of the room but then i don't have carpets but if i did i still wouldn't be tempted to use pants as she won't learn to clean herself

even if she is getting spayed she should still learn to wash her season

Back