• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

toileting problems after spay/hernis repair!!

Harley & Carley

Both of the girls were spayed last week and Harley had a hernia repair. They seem to have lost the ability to hold the poop until they are taken out. And, they have really frequent loose stools.
The vet tech said that was common - any of you had similar problems?

I didn't have this problem with Lily when she was spayed. She pooped and peed normally as soon as I brought her home. I believe someone else who had theirs spayed the same week did have a problem with them pooping, but I believe they were constipated. It is probably different with each dog though. More than likely it is normal. Maybe someone will have an answer. Glad they did o.k. with their surgeries otherwise.

Yes it is common it is due to the anaesthesia used to put your baby to sleep, it can really mess with their little tummies for a while. If no good by about the two week mark I personally would give my vets a call as it should right itself by then at the latest. Also make sure you don't feed anything new or different for a few weeks so you can determine the cause. Hope your little ones are back to normal soon.

Back