• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is eating healthy plants outside ok?

Charley's Mom

My Charley has just discovered the wonders of the outdoors now that spring has sprung. He recently discovered his bark and he barks at the rabbits and squirrels when he sees them outside. If I let him out he chases after them.

He also started eating my hostas and the buds of a tree that fall on my wood deck. I think it is from my maple. I hope I can explain what they are - when we were kids we'd put them on our noses and we used the word - polynose. I just looked it up on Wikipedia and the word polynose is described as the dried fruit from a maple tree, (short definition) ... so I guess my memory is not as bad as I think! It would almost be impossible for me to get rid of all of them each day, I hope they aren't bad for him. Does anyone know anything about these?

I don't know how to stop him from eating things outside. The only thing I do is call him and say "Want a cheerio?" It's his favorite treat. But that seems like I'm rewarding behavior that I don't like.

Thanks for any wisdom on this.

Charley's Mom

You need to check on poisonous plants. Plants that are OK for humans can be poisonous to dogs.

See: http://www.dogpack.com/health/poisonplants.htm

But it is easy to Google lots of other lists.

When they are small and exploring it is best to not let them just go chew on anything -- keep him on a lead outside if necessary. They tend to grow out of the need to chew on everything as they get older, fortunately!

Thank you Karlin. I did look and see that they are NOT poisonous. I let him out there "to go" and I would not want to have to walk him on a leash everytime he had to go because that was the purpose of training him to go outside in the backyard.

Seems like he always comes up with some new thing that he does - just like a baby! He keeps me on my toes! I have MS and I am thankful that I am not restricted as many are... but I am fatigued often and at times, it is hard to keep up with him.

Having said all that, it is so nice to have him to snuggle with when I take my naps!

Charley's Mom

Back