Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surgery today for Wed. and ? on SM! Help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Surgery today for Wed. and ? on SM! Help!!

Well I just dropped my little baby, Wednesday, off in Denver this morning for her surgery on her knees. They'll be doing both knees today! I started crying when I dropped her off. Since I'm sure she hasn't had the best life in the past, I felt so sorry for her having to go through this. I didn't feed too dumb because as another couple was dropping off their doggy they were crying too. I'll be picking her up on Saturday.

We had such a hard night. Friday, my blen with SM, spent most of the night yelping in pain. She's on a pretty big dose of tramadol now and doing better. She has diarrhea (Wednesday was sick last week) and I'm wondering if that set off the pain in her neck. I know pooping and that pain is connected. Does anybody with SM dogs had this happen? My husband is staying home today from work to be with her. I think I'm going to call the vet. Any info would be greatly appreciated. If she continues in severe pain I was actually considering putting her down. I'm so heartbroken today. Now I have to gather myself and get to work.....boy this is a bad day!!
    Terri, mom to Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my god, you poor thing, and poor puppies, I dont have any advice just wanted to say my thoughts are with you
    Sue, Prince (B&T, DOB: 28/09/2001) & Lucy (Tri, DOB Unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

yikes Can't give you advice as I don't know what I would do in your situation but you are in my thoughts. I am so sorry you're going through this. Wednesday will be just fine and you know what? She will forgive you straight away I am sure - especially from all of that special attention she'll be getting. She's going to be much better after her surgery so keep your head up and a smile on your face.

I hope Friday feels better soon. Is SM surgery an option for her??

Hope you're having a better day
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is she only on tramadol and not on gabapentin? I'd strongly advise moving her to gabapentin, it is much better for SM pain. Also try frusemide with gabapentin. This is generally a very succesful combination. Very few use tramadol or over the counter NSAIDS beyond very early stages and for very low level discomfort. Have a look at Clare Rusbridge's treatment diagram on www.smcavalier.com as that gives dosages and courses of treatment. Steroids would likely give her fast relief right now too.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Treatment diagram:

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/Treatment...%20simple).pdf

They do sometimes have sessions like this; if they are rare they can have a very good quality of life. Most of us with SM dogs find gabapentin is really the miracle drug for SM dogs for giving quality of life and addressing pain.

Tramadol is a very low level NSAID; gabapentin will probably make a HUGE difference for her. Try to get it today!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Terri....you poor thing. I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. What an emtional week for you. As far as Wednesday and her knee surgery .... don't fret. She will be okay. I bawled like a baby leaving Shelby and was even worse when I picked her up. But her spunky little personality had me smiling 24 hours later.

So glad Karlin is able to give you some guidance on treating Friday. I know she is breaking your heart.

Hope everyone is doing better in the next couple of days.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Karlin, she's taking 200mg gabapentin 3 times daily and lasix twice daily. She's on the max dose for everything. The tramadol is just for really bad days. I'm home for lunch break and she still has diarrhea but has seemed to calm down now. My husband, who was up with her all night, said she hasn't had an episode of yelping since abou 5 am. I left at that time to get Wednesday to her surgery.

We tried prednisone last year before her decompression surgery and it didn't seem to make a difference and made her gain several pounds. She scared me so much because in between the yelping she was panting very heavy. I'm sure she was in severe pain. We've exhausted probably every option except adding tagamet. She does well most days. Hopefully this was associated with the diarrhea and she'll be ok now.
    Terri, mom to Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear you and your doggies are having a hard time. I hope things improve for you

Post Thanks / Like

You are a wonderful mummy to Friday...it must be so difficult to go through this. Our hopes that she is doing better again soon.
    Barkleigh Bianca’s mom and dad

Post Thanks / Like

Terri....I am so sorry to hear that Friday is in pain. I will be thinking of Friday and Wednesday, and sending hugs your way.
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.