Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surgery today for Wed. and ? on SM! Help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I don't have any good advice, Karlin is always very good with SM so I'll leave that to her but I'm thinking of you and please give kisses to Friday.

All I know about knee operations is that with humans, the 3 that I have known to have different work done on their knees have all felt great relief straight after. It has always been great. And given that vets are better trained than surgeons, it's looking promising!
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry Terri, I forgot she had already had the surgery. About 20%-30% of dogs need it repeated (humans regularly need for it to be repeated) but this isn't a choice that many people wish to make; most seem to opt for medical management for as long as they can.

Nicki may have some suggestions if you PM her or she sees this thread. How long ago was the surgery?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Karlin, the surgery was about 1 year ago. I'm not sure I would put her through that again. Actually, I talked to the doc about that recently and he feels another surgery wouldn't improve her situation because she's about the same since surgery as far as pain goes, except for last night, of course. Her symptoms haven't increased in the last year, if anything improved. Last night as her diarrhea got worse so did the pain symptoms. Pm'ing Nicki is a good idea...thank you for your advice.

Wednesday did really well, and so did the surgery according to the surgeon. I miss having her here. We'll pick her up on Saturday, where she'll get lots of attention.

Whew...what a day. I'm glad it's over. Thank you everybody for your support!!!
    Terri, mom to Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday

Post Thanks / Like

Terri, you and your husband really have your hands full both physically and emotionally. I really hope things get better real soon.
    Charleen and Cav's: Pippin (ruby male), Merry (b&t female), Luke (blenheim male) & Jolly (tri male puppy)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't have any sage words Terri but I just wanted to let you know that I really feel for you. It is a rough time you are your little ones are going through. I hope brighter days are heading your way really fast.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

just wanted to add my thoughts, well wishes and hugs to all the ones going your way. its great news that wednesday is doing well after surgery. i hope friday feels better. there have been some informal studies done that shown the power of positive thoughts (and/or prayer) directed towards an individual can actually improve their condition and you've got tons of positive thoughts going your way from all over the world. hang in there and keep us posted.
    "Not all who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If she has generally improved but just had this single session of pain, or rare sessions, I'd hang in there. They often go through some problems while overall doing pretty well. The sessions can be really upsetting. You might talk to your neurologist about the possibility of raising the painkiller level when she has this kind of event -- some dogs are even on Lyrica which is a very strong version of gabapentin. Two things that sometimes helps dogs having pain sesssions is something cold to their shou,ders, like a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel, or gently rolling them on their backs and rubbing tummies; maybe it changes the CSF flow.

I'm glad the paella surgery went well; you have a lot on your plate right now.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Friday's not doing very well. The severe pain session did stop and she hasn't had any since. Now she started the bloody diarrhea and I took the afternoon off work and she's on her way to the vet. She finally ate a little bit earlier (some rice and broth) but before that she hadn't eaten in a couple of days.

She had it all night long. Her coat is very long so everytime she went outside which was about every hour or two I had to give her a bath. I tried trimming her up but she even got blood on her feet. I took her off lasix because I didn't want her to dehydrate further.

Karlin, I'll check into that medication you talked out.

On the other hand, the doctor's office said Wednesday is doing very well and will be ready to come home tomorrow.

Thanks everybody for all the support and positive thoughts! I'm sure Friday will be ok. We went through that with Wednesday recently and we got her better. It'll just take some time. It's the yelping that's so distressing for me.
    Terri, mom to Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hang in there

I also wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family right now. How distressing this all must be, but Friday and Wednesday are so blessed to have you both as their parents - I'm sure this was by 'Design', and not accident.
    Please keep us updated on their progress and we'll keep hoping for better days!
    Momay - Mum to Sofee Marie - 23 month old Tri

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lyrica is really expensive as there are no generic versions. I'd ask first if you can up her gabapentin but if she is doing OK right now, you are probably fine. You also might try tagamet rather than frusemide? Some people have better success with one over the other. Leo does get some extra relief with tagamet that I never noticed from frusemide and for other dogs it can be the other way around. I give him this in solution -- one 200mg tablet dissolved in three tbsp water then give 1/8th teaspoon. I give two actually as that dose is so low and that helps whereas one didn't seem to. It does the same thing as frusemide -- lowers CSF pressure -- and I want Leo to be taking something that does this even if the gabapentin is what is actually helping symptoms.
    Karlin