• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Teaching to slowly take treats

Jen

Since we got Gus, Abbey has become crazy when it's time for a treat. I get that it's a competition thing, but man, when we give her a treat she nearly takes our fingers off trying to get it. :mad: When she's super crazed, I don't give it to her until she's calmed down. Any suggestions on getting her to be calm and gentle when taking a treat, rather than the typical frenzy she works herself into? Gus just sits there and watches her, so it's not like he's getting her worked up, she does it all by herself. :rolleyes:

When you offer her the treat make your hand into a loose fist . let her sniff your knuckles then uncurl your fingers & let her take the treat. you won't lose the tips of your fingers that way

That's exactly what I do with Shelby, my little alligator mouth! If she tries to snatch it, I quickly close my hand, pull it back, while saying 'ah ah, gentle'. When she does take it nicely I praise her with "good gentle"

Our guys take their treat really nicely. When it is treat time I call them all around and ask them to sit. Sam is exempt from this due to his arthritic hips & knees. Then I take up one treat and in order of seniority I say quite slowly as I take the treat up "this is for Scarlett" and then I pop it in her mouth. Then on to the next dog. Even Beau who is only 19 weeks sits really nicely & takes his treat gently. They all listen for their name & I think they are relaxed & confident that they will get their turn. I think the snatching thing happens if they are worried someone else will get it.

Yes I know this one :D

Ok you may need your chain mail gloves at first but it definately works.
It is all about teaching patience so you first need to teach the wait command. However you can teach this command at the same time as teaching them to take the treat calmly.

Step 1 - make doggy sit, put a high value treat firmly between your index finger and thumb like your pinching it.
Step 2 - when they are still in a sit and not jumping up (trying to take the skin off your legs for the treat) very slowly start to move the treat towards their mouth saying wait.
Step 3 - Everytime their mouth goes to snap for the food or moves towards your hand you pull your hand back to the beginning and start again from step 1 making sure they don't get the food. (if they did just start again anyway)
Step 4 - they eventually get the food when you have managed to take it right up to their nose and leave it there for a second then say ok and they should take it gently
If they are still snapping when you say ok and have it at their nose you need to try (and this is where the chain mail gloves come in) and not realise the treat on the snap so they have not been rewarded for it.

My two savage beasts learnt this very quickly and I cursed myself for putting up with beatings I had endured for years everytime they took food.

I would probably suggest working one on one initially till they grasp it.

You can also use this command for other things, going through doors, jumping on your lap etc.

Let me know if its not clear or you need more help.

Our guys take their treat really nicely. When it is treat time I call them all around and ask them to sit. Sam is exempt from this due to his arthritic hips & knees. Then I take up one treat and in order of seniority I say quite slowly as I take the treat up "this is for Scarlett" and then I pop it in her mouth. Then on to the next dog. Even Beau who is only 19 weeks sits really nicely & takes his treat gently. They all listen for their name & I think they are relaxed & confident that they will get their turn. I think the snatching thing happens if they are worried someone else will get it.

This is what we do, but I try to rotate the order to 'reinforce' that I expect ALL of them to sit patiently the whole time. Our Beau was very food aggressive, and I think this 'be polite for the treat' thing helped in that area.

KC

Back