Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2,5 years old dogs weight was 2,1 kg at 8,5 weeks, now he is 2,5 years and hes weight is 8,15 kg.
    I have heard the english dogs are smaller than the scandinavian, is that true?????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    If you are unsure about your puppy's weight then check with your vet -- but in general most puppies will eat about a cup of food a day spread out over a couple of meals (3 meals until they are 4-6 months old, then two meals until they are 10-12 months, then they can stay on two or go to one). In my experience most people overfeed their dogs and most cavavliers I see are WAY too fat which puts a strain on their hearts. Most have no waist at all and people keep feeding them because 'they are hungry'. But this breed will almost always overeat -- they are one of about 5 breeds well known for overeating and being prone to obesity. So you want a healthy solid puppy but not a really fat puppy.

If she is 8lbs at 4.5 months I doubt she will be 'dainty' -- she is likely to come in at the low to middle of the breed standard. Breeders shouldn't be breeding for 'dainty' however! A good breeder wants solid, healthy dogs of breed standard weight.

I read a good tip today on a breeder list for gauging the correct weight for your dog. Make a fist. If you run your fingers over your dog's rib area and it feels like it does when you run your hands over the back of your hand, the dog is too fat. If the ribs feel like it does when you run your fingers across the knuckles on the back of your hand, the dog is too thin. If the dog's rib area feels like it does when you run your fingers across the fingers of your fist, below the knuckles -- the dog is in good weight.

I also recommend reading:

http://www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

on feeding puppies and check the pictures of fat and normal weight cavaliers.

I regularly feed scraps, fresh fruit and veg, fresh cooked meat and home made stews to my dogs. They shouldn't get such things as extras (include the amount in the daily intake) but I think they add needed variety and REAL food to a diet -- dry food is highly processed with the vitamins put back in that are lost in the process of making it. The problem really is that people feed the normal amount for the dog and then add scraps and extras on top of this -- making for a fat dog. There are lots of different feeding options but advice from breeders is always a good starting point.
    Thank you, that is really useful (especially the link). She definately has a waist on her, so she's probably a good weight for her frame. She's just small! She was clearly the smallest in her litter (I didn't choose her for this but rather her character - the biggest one was very shy & reserved!) so I suspect that the breeder wasn't concerned with breeding smaller dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Alfie was 1.4 kgs at 8 weeks and due to some food intolrences stayed at that weight for another month. Although he is very small framed now at 10 months he is fit and healthy and has no problem keeping up with my much larger cav at all times. In fact I would say he is the boss and as you will see can snuggle in almosty anywhere.

he was weighed at the vets yesterday at 6.4 kgs and is 10 months old.
    Yvonne

Mum to Harvey (blenheim) & Alfie (tri)xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

CUTE picture! Thanks for posting his story; that helps people get a sense of how smaller puppies might fill out as they mature.

Breed standard should be 12-18lbs or 13-18 lbs; some go over and under but show dogs should fall within that standard. A lot of pets can go way outside that standard, both because reputable show breeders are placing dogs as pets that are not of show quality, so size may be one element of why the dog isn't OK for show; but also because breeders who ONLY breed for a pet market generally take very little care about breeding for conformation -- much less being aware of, or following, health protocols. So there tend to be over-undersized dogs tha are from good breeders that just happen to fall outside the standard, then there are lots that were never even bred for conformation to begin with.

The majority of cavaliers I see in pet homes in Ireland are way over the breed standard in weight. I am constantly asked by people who already have cavaliers if 1) my dogs are puppies and 2) why are they so small! But they all fall within the breed standard.

I know some show breeders have expressed concern that many judges do not really know the breed standard well and hence are giving cavaliers points that do not conform, in particular are very large or very small. Or sometimes dogs that have been trimmed when this is anot allowed, etc. So off breed stndard dogs thus get championships too and then are used for breeding themselves and influence the size of the breed. Lots of different factors I suppose.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I love Yvonne's picture of Alfie with her hubby.
    Charleen and Cav's: Pippin (ruby male), Merry (b&t female), Luke (blenheim male) & Jolly (tri male puppy)

Post Thanks / Like

When we brought Bailey home at almost 9 weeks old, he was quite small. He was about 3 lbs (1.36 kg), so basically the weight of your cavalier. He just turned 11 months today, and is exactly 18 lbs, which he has been since about 9 months. When we first got him, the vet said he was on the smaller side, but healthy. Clearly, he's gotten MUCH larger haha! He seems to be a nice and healthy weight now. After seeing people recommend a cup of food, perhaps we feed him too much. We normally feed about 1.25 to 1.5 cups of food spread across two meals. Here is a picture of him at 10-11 weeks, and one from now.

Last edited by Jessieca; 14th May 2007 at 06:44 PM.
    Mom to Bailey (born 06/14/06)

Post Thanks / Like

He is soooo handsome.
    Yvonne

Mum to Harvey (blenheim) & Alfie (tri)xx