• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Mounting

Jessieca

Hi! A couple weeks ago, at the park, a poodle mounted my dog. Luckily I grabbed on to his harness and was able to pull him out, because the dog would not get off of him, and the owner's just laughed. Again yesterday this happened at a different park! A male dachshund mounted Bailey, and started going at it. I am told this is possibly a dominance issue, but I really do not know much about it. Is there anything in particular I should do to prevent this from happening? I am afraid maybe it might be upsetting to Bailey, though I am really unsure, I just feel badly, as I am sure he can't feel good about it. He is a bit timid before he gets to know a dog. Does this happen to anyone else's cavalier? Thanks!

See the post right nearby on humping! :) Dogs sometimes do this as a dominance thing but it is probably a lot more complex -- too many things IMHO get lumped in as 'dominance', no thanks to the TV trainers, and the whole issue of dominance and submission in dogs is far more complicaed than just one dog runs things, everyone else obeys in a hierarchy. So I always suggest people not worry much about these terms -- much better to think in terms of leadership, motivation and good communication. :) With unwanted attention from other people's dogs -- I would expect them to come remove their dog but a lot of people think his is amusing (to them) even if the dogs are quite unhappy so sometimes it ends up being you that has to move the dog away or pick it up out of reach. I'd do this calmly and not make a big deal -- making a big deal will make it a big deal for your dog. Just going elsewhere will not. A few pointed words to the owner sometimes help more than anything. :lol:

Keep in mind it is generally just a natural behaviour. If your dog is bothered by it (timid or small dogs can be), best to pick him and and walk away, or just walk away if the other dog will leave off long enough. Fights bewteen dogs can start over this kind of thing as well so it is best to defuse the situation by separating the dogs.

my 7/8 month old cavalier puppy did it to an adult German Shepard and an Old English Sheepdog last month at Saturday dog club when they were sitting/lying down.

I nearly died !!

I see a trip to visit Mr Neuter soon ! This is the puppy who likes to spray in the house from time to time.

Back