• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

That Hawk means I get a New Puppy!

Kodee

So I have an issue in my legs that require me to get braces. Since I dont have them yet each step is well PAINFUL since both ankles are involved - Kodee likes that I sometimes cave and crawl instead ;) .

So Kodee is outside and I look up and see the HAWK MONSTER for the first time in mths. This time he is literally circling over my house around and around... does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what cute lil puppy he is eyeing for dinner. Wow when you see them that close you really realize just how darn big those wings spread!

So here I am panicking trying to get Kodee in... nope she senses I am tense and wont listen. Me screaming and chasing is rather fun from her perspective! So I run into the house (we were only on the patio) and bring a whole BLOCK of cheese out... here Kodee, KODEE COME.. then I start clapping my hands, banging two colourful frisbees together... all while hopping on one foot trying to protect the one really damaged. My husband gets home from work after about 2 or 3 mins of this and comes outside having heard me from the driveway. Finally we caught her and those big circles were now mighty tight and small which can signal they are about to attack.

So we go in and should I be surprised my ankles are zapping lightening bolts. I start whining on and on how I was looking so forward to a puppy, spring is my favourite time of yr, I want to go to the park and take her to the lake... whine whine. Oh just stay off your ft till the braces are here. NO I cant, it will be 2 more wks and Kodee wants out and you cant expect a puppy to sit looking at me all day. JUST STAY OFF YOUR FT AND YOU CAN HAVE A PUPPY NEXT YR WHEN YOUR LEGS ARE BETTER.

Yup he said it, and here it is as a reminder in black and white Now which colour Cavalier should I get!

Congratulations Debbie - what a wonderful goal for you to work towards - another cavalier - way to go - it will be hard to pick the color though - they are all wonderful. Probably best to pick the puppy color available at that time next year. :luv:

Oh a new puppy for Kodee to play with that is something to look forward to. Will the fact that you will have 2 dogs deter the hawks ?

I was wondering if a scarecrow or something would work against the hawks ?

Where I live we don't really get a choice in the colour of a cav pup, we have a very limited number of responsible breeders so it is a case of what is available as the wait list is around a year.
My mum decided she wanted anything but a black and tan, preferably a blenheim or ruby and what did she get after one and a bit years of waiting (first on the list)..... a black and tan.
It was that or wait another lifetime and in my opinion a year is just way to long to be without a dog I would go insane.

The choice of colour will definately be tricky, but I'm sure you'll get there.

I was wondering if a scarecrow or something would work against the hawks ?
Well if a 50 yr old woman, hopping on one ft waving bright coloured frisbees and screaming like a banshee doesnt deter it, I think not!

My mum decided she wanted anything but a black and tan.
While we waited for Kodee to be born that is how I thought. Then we were told we would get either the boy b/t or girl b/t I was devastated. But then I went hunting down pics of them and fell in love with them! I actually was sad when she told us our first choice of a girl tri could happen (Kodee's hernia meant the breeder wasnt going to keep her to show after all). Ah Kodee's personality fits our family like a glove but I still have that learned love of tan/blacks with a Ruby following closely.

heeheee! i'm so glad everything worked out well. my b/f's chihuahua is TERRIFIED of birds (unless she is safe in the house, then she likes to listen to their music). when she was a pup, they had a bluejay that lived in their backyard adn when she was out sunning herself on the screened in patio, the bird would scream adn dive bomb adn the screens. we were walking at a park and she heard a hawk (a small one but still scary for a 6 pound pooch). she was sooo scared, she wouldn't walk and we had to carry her back to teh car, even though the hawk was far away. heehee.

well, you'll have all year to dream about the new pup and think of names and what color you want while enjoying beautiful kodee too. congrats to you and kodee on the promise of a new friend.

Firstly sorry to hear you were so frightened for your baby and that you are often in pain.

Now what colour to go for? Hmm icon_nwunsure in my opinion a good dog is never a bad colour, I have Blenheims and Tri-colours and am on a fellow breeders list for a Black and Tan girl :xfngr: Good luck in choosing, they are all beautiful!!

Black and tans are absolutely, totally my choice. One chap said my George looked like he'd been dipped in chocolate
07.gif

Second choice if there we're no b&t's in the world would be a ruby.

I'm so sorry about your poor legs!! I know chronic pain, so I definately empathize.

But pardon me as I laugh at the mental image of you hopping and banging your frisbees!!:D

Hawks are awesome, and intimidating. You saw it in the sky, now imagine it sitting on your (gloved) arm and being fed by hand! I have a picture somewhere (everything is somewhere) of me holding one while Erin fed it - I gave her to choice of hold or feed. I don't know of any way to deter hawks. I have seen some in other parts of our neighborhood but not at our house.

Boy, what a cheezy way to get a new puppy! Wonder if it would work on Bubba? Erin found one in the Lexington paper yesterday - 2 years old for $200. Wonder what's wrong with it?

Color? Personally I love the blenheims. But I think that's probably because I've seen and handled more of those than any other. But as long as the personality is there, you can't go wrong with color!

Boy, what a cheezy way to get a new puppy!
Ha you want to know a cheezy way to get a new designer watch? Get your sister to take your kids, you take your husband out to dinner/movie, you happen to walk through the department store, where you innocently go ohhhhh what a nice watch that is exactly what I have been searching for! :rolleyes: Did I forget to say dinner included a drink ok two ok so maybe i flooded him with 3! Hmm now that I think of it that watch is about 6 yrs old and not looking so designerish... Oh look time for Desparate Housewives... guess my character twin!

Hmmm, the kid is grown and it's just the two of us (and the critters). Too bad we don't drink any more!!:)

I tried to get a new Louis Vuitton at C'mas. Went to Saks, had the lady get one out and I've handled it and looked inside and put it on my shoulder and showed Bubba how good I looked with it. Then I asked her how much it was. She said $1800 so I zipped the bag back up, buckled the pockets and handed it back to her, telling her that I'd have to talk to Santa. I mentally counted to see how far we got before he said "Good God, $1800 for a pocketbook!!!" I've had 2 in 20 years - looks like I could have another one! (And my watch is one I've had for almost as long as we've been married; I can't imagine wearing anything else - even tho it's hard to read the time on it!:D )

I've kinda started thinking of the price of things now in "Cavaliers". We paid half a Cavalier to board the dogs and cat last time. He just shakes his head at me.

BUT, there are some other tricks we know, aren't there???;)

Hawks are very intimidating. The woman I bought Scout from told me not to let her out in the yard alone, not that I was going to, I still go outside with her and she's over a year old, because a Hawk or Eagle could just carry her off. What a scary thought. Recently, the past two years or so, we have been seeing many turkey vultures in our neighborhood and we also have osprey (from the eagle family very large). From the ground it looks like they have a six foot wing span. They are pretty scary looking.

What saddens me is the fact that these animals are being pushed out of their homes to make room for "development". And then people wonder why they find them in neighborhoods! (okay, my speach for wildlife, sorry)

What saddens me is the fact that these animals are being pushed out of their homes to make room for "development". And then people wonder why they find them in neighborhoods! (okay, my speach for wildlife, sorry)
Nope. Cant say I can muster it up. Definately not... no sadness here. These particular hawks only have to fly about 3 miles north and they have pure country fields hopping with wildlife. I would be glad to supply them a road map though :D

Back