• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tail going Bald, Should I be worrying?

kaytee576

Hi, I have a seven year old Cavalier King charles, she has lots of health problems :( SM and irritable Bowel Disease and also dry eye problems.

A while ago her anal glands were full and she was biting her tail and made a section go bald about 2 cm's and the hair never grew back :(

but lately this baldness is spreading it is covering the top of her tail and is about 5cm long.
Her anal glands are fine and were recently (a month ago) emptied so I know it isnt that, also she hasnt been biting her tail, I now wonder whether it was the biting in the first place and I am concerned as to why this is happening, Is it something to worry over?
Your advice will be very much appreciated thanks xxx

I'd have her checked; it sounds like more than just the biting at the tail. She may have a skin condition causing her to lose hair; also mange causes loss of hair. A vet should be able to help, do some skin scrapings etc.

There is an oil gland in the top of the tail & it sometimes becomes over active. A lot of my dogs have had it. it doesn't bother them in itself but i've noticed its usually connected to skin problems & over active A glands

I would definately take your little one to the vets. There are a number of things that could cause this and I would think it best to get it checked out.

Nodding at what Karlin said about getting a vet to take a look. It doesn't sound like an anal gland issue any more. The base of the tail is also a favourite hangout for fleas and even just a couple of fleas can cause flea allergy in that area.

I'm nodding at what Caraline said. The rump is the best place in a flea's mind, and on some dogs one flea bite can cause itching for 2 weeks.

Tibby has a bad problem with naked tail and rear end. We have done steroids, both topical and systemically; allergy testing and injections; medicated baths. The baths helped more than anything, but only for a short time. Diphendrymine (benadryl) doesn't seem to help her, nor does atarax.

But she doesn't do it constantly. She can lay in the chair with Bubba for literally hours and not move a muscle. As soon as they go to bed she starts scratching. And the frightening thing to me is that she sometimes has her head thrown back and has that fearful look on her face that I've seen on some of the SM videos.

Tibby was also on an "allergy diet" (Hills prescription) which didn't help. All of the dogs coats started looking better when I changed them to Eagle Pack.

Back