• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Food

Jessieca

We have been feeding Bailey about 1.25 to 1.5 cups of Wellness puppy food spread out over two feedings every day for quite some time now. I notice most people on here recommend one cup. Should I cut back? He is 18 lbs. and has been since around 9 months, and he is now 11 months old. We plan to switch to an adult food made by Wellness in a few weeks, and we are wondering if we should perhaps cut back. I don't by any means think he is overweight, but I suppose his waist is not as defined as it used to be, so maybe he should be a little bit smaller. Thanks for any advice :)

When we fed Wellness, we only fed 1 cup to Wesley who was 22lbs. Every dog's metabolism is different and Bailey is still an active puppy who needs more food than adults, so 1.25cups should be fine.

With managing my cavies weight, I reduce the amount of food by 1/4 of a cup and stayed at that amount for one week. If they didn't lose weight, then I cut back a bit more for one week. If they did lose weight, then I stayed at that amount. It's amazing how much four little pieces of kibble can add to Wesley's waist line so I an super attentive to the amount I feed.

I see, thanks. Yeah, he is a VERY active puppy lol. Is it normal for them to sometimes not feel like eating? Not very often, but yesterday for example, he just was not interested in his food. He ate maybe 1/4 a cup at most, but then this morning inhaled his food. I know some days I don't feel like eating much, so I don't know if maybe dogs are the same lol. Well thanks for the response :)

Oh, forgot to add, that though I try to give him 2 meals a day, he often will only eat 1/4 cup in the morning, and the rest in the late afternoon/early evening.

Don't worry too much when Bailey won't eat very much, my little Darcy who is just coming up to 4 months has days when he barely eats at all and days when he wolfs everthing in sight!! They won't starve themselves as a rule.

At Bailey's age he has about done growing size wise and you can think about switching to an adult feed rather than a puppy feed, adult feed usually has a lower protein level, as it is more of a "maintenance" diet than a "growing" diet if you see what I mean?

As a general rule my pups are on 3 meals a day at 3-6 months, 2 meals a day at 6-12 months then 1 meal a day thereafter, I usually feed in the evening, but I know plenty who prefer to feed in the morning arguing that the dog has all day to work the feed off again, at the end of the day it is down to personnal choice, whatever you feel comfortable with!

Hope that helps?

I don't by any means think he is overweight, but I suppose his waist is not as defined as it used to be, so maybe he should be a little bit smaller.

Hi Jessieca

I don't know anything about the foods you are feeding, but if you think Bailey could do with being a little trimmer I'd be inclined to cut back gently on how much you are giving him. Just weigh him weekly to monitor his progress. That weight sure can just creep in over time & it is easier to knock off a pound or two now than 5 or more later in life. If he seems hungry with the smaller volume you can bulk it out with some grated veggies.

Hi Jessieca

I don't know anything about the foods you are feeding, but if you think Bailey could do with being a little trimmer I'd be inclined to cut back gently on how much you are giving him. Just weigh him weekly to monitor his progress. That weight sure can just creep in over time & it is easier to knock off a pound or two now than 5 or more later in life. If he seems hungry with the smaller volume you can bulk it out with some grated veggies.

Thanks very much for your advice :) and to everyone else! I think I will cut back to a cup then, and see how he handles it etc.

Back