• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What do you make of this?

frecklesmom

At this site today http://www.petconnection.com/blog/

and under a headline ending with " .....tainted food in Germany?" is a translation
from German Google news stating a recall of one pet food in Germany and the probability that tainted pet food has reached Europe. Wish I could do the translation myself.

I think that was noted on the FDA site already? -- two foods are sold into Europe but they are foods produced in the US or Canada and shipped over. The site didn;'t clarify which foods but it seemed they were N American manufacture shipped into Europe.

We don't tend to have many of the same brands as you have in North America and they also almost all tend to be manufactured here (the European (eg EU-based) market is actually an even larger market, population-wise, than the US and Canada). For example just check the foods list on zooplus.ie -- most European countries have their own brands. There are also different controls on chemicals and additives that can go into food here, including pet food. We also seem to pay more for the food -- indicating that maybe sourcing ingredients abroad to keep prices lower isn't as much of an issue though that is just a guess. As Cathryn posted elsewhere, she contacted Royal Canin Europe, which is a French brand originally and manufactured in France -- and they said they don't use rice gluten or protein but corn gluten and all of it is manufactured in the EU, not brought in from China. A lot of the European brands that I've checked don't seem to use rice or corn gluten at all. It sure is something I've begun looking for on cat and dog foods, like all of us I think! but doesn;t seem to be often used from what I can see. Ingredients labels can be confusing though and aren't always very clear.

Back