Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should a vet charge for writing a prescription?

Post Thanks / Like

Default should a vet charge for writing a prescription?

went off this morning to collect daisy prescription and i was told i had to pay for it! i thought that was a bit of a cheek as they only had to write it out on a piece of paper (as i send it off to a cheaper company online where i get it half price). should vets charge for writing prescriptions? i have seen online that they shouldn't and that it is illegal. just thought it was a bit naughty, it was only a couple of quid, but if they do that for everyone then that is quite a profit for them!

Post Thanks / Like

No, they shouldn't charge at all. I have a doctor who does this. If you ask for a script outside of your appointment they charge $10 for it. And they won't mail it either unless you've given them a self-addressed stamped envelope. I feel your pain, Emma.
    Spencer and his mom, Whitney

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Emma, just be sure the online pharmacy is UK regulated and reputable -- the majority of online pharmacies are totally unregulated and are known to sell counterfeit drugs that do not have the actual real drug ingredients in them -- they can even just be compressed powder. Especially any pharmacy that is based in Asia, the South Pacific or the Caribbean -- classic locations for pirate operations. This is why the drugs are so cheap. I'd be a bit concerned if the cost is actually half the normal prescription as that is a pretty low discount -- usually it is a lot less of a difference than that. So just make sure you are getting what you are paying for. There are numerous reputable UK online pharmacies and they should carry a professional seal.

See: http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/idcplg?I...AGE&nodeId=254
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

The prescription should be free.

http://www.vet-medic.com/page1.aspx?PID=1

This company is reputable. They will take your order over the phone and have it ready for dispatch, as soon as the prescription reaches them.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Doctors.

as you guys knoe my daughter ella has been sick alot and has been in hospitals at least 27 times the doctors here charge me for writing out a presciption at about 10 euros ago,i know its not the vets but it doesnt suprise me in the least,all i have ever heard here is that they train long anough so they charge for this,to date we have spent on ella about eight thousand euro.and she is only just turned 6.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Emma,

Only just getting back online poperly but having spent 99% of my working life in pharmacies I can assure you that it is perfectly legal in the UK for a Doctor or Dentist to charge you for writing a private prescription. As Vets aren't covered by the NHS (shame ) they are also allowed to charge.

When you take that prescription to a chemist they also charge you again. I can't remember the way it is worked out now as it's been a while but it is something like cost of drugs + a nominal charge for dispensing + 17.5% VAT. It will all get written into a private prescription book and the hard copy (original prescription) is kept for about 5 years.

As Karlin has said, be very careful about where you get your drugs from. I personally am also very choosy about which chemists I use too....

Post Thanks / Like

I think that vets are allowed to charge an admin fee for writing the prescription.
    Norma
    Gabbie & Tilly

Post Thanks / Like

There should be no charge made for a vet writing a prescrition, however some do charge an admin fee, heck my vet charges me for reading the swab test results for my girls when they are tested for "nasties" prior to being mated!! It is usually only about £1.10, they call it a "decipher" fee! Hmmm
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

If I called the vet and asked him to write a prescription only, I'd consider that a professional service and might expect to pay a fee. If I asked for the same prescription during an actual appointment where I was already paying an 'office visit' charge, I'd expect the prescription to be included in the office visit.

When we got Elvis, the breeder wanted a vet reference letter. Even though they didn't charge for it, I was certainly prepared to pay a fee. They're there trying to make a living, and little things like that add up.

KC

Post Thanks / Like

I am careful when buying daisys medicines, and i am sure i am buying them from reputable companies, to buy optimmune from my vet it is £50.00 for a small tube, i can buy it on pet meds for £25.00. This tube only lasts a month, so it is worth getting it online.
    Daisy is on 5 different medicines for her eyes, tablets for her skin and gets several ear infections. so i really don't know how much money i have spent on daisy but it is a lot!