• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

1st The Humiliation Then the Flattery

Monica

Here in Canada we call them soup bones, just take a bit of the marrow out as too much can give them runny poop. But otherwise they are really good for them.

My hubby actually went earlier in the day and he gave him bones big enough for a Great Dame. Anyway I went back later and they will cut them to the size you want.

Just tell them you want small bones about 3 to 4 inches, our grocery store has a butcher counter attached to it so I usually ask them and they will cut them for you.

They also had some turkey necks, which usually I would never buy but they looked more like the chicken necks I buy so I got a few of those too.

These boys are gonna have a field day this wkd.

Let us know how you make out Monica, don't you feed NV I think some pre-frozen raw foods also sell marrow bones.
But you are better to get them fresh if you can.;) ;)

What bones do you ask the butcher for? How does that work? I am so new at this whole raw deal that I feel so silly asking the butcher for anything without the proper wording!! :lol:

I'm with Monica, though I saw your answer Linda, I'm still wondering ... what kind of bones are soup bones? Some type of beef that looks like, but what part I have no clue, as I've never purchased any myself.

I'm with Monica, though I saw your answer Linda, I'm still wondering ... what kind of bones are soup bones? Some type of beef that looks like, but what part I have no clue, as I've never purchased any myself.

Sorry Girls

I am used to the Canadian terminology.

I believe then you would just ask them for beef bones, they really don't have a lot of meat on them and should not cost a lot.

To give you a better idea, I took some out of the freezer to snap a picture.

IMG_1136.jpg

The bone that looks round with less meat on it is a marrow bone and although they love the marrow I always remove some of it.

IMG_1136.jpg

Just be careful not to get beef rib as I believe that bone is a bit thinner and can splinter easier.

I will ask Sara to have a look she used to live in the States and will know what you all call them. I know in Britain we always called them soup bones and they do here too. My Granny always made a good pot of soup with the bone.

I think we call them marrow bones here in the states. At least in the northeast (we do have our regional differences too ...)

I bought some for Lucky a while ago. They actually had 6 of them sliced up and pre-packaged. I think the package said "marrow bones" but I'm not sure. I might have to run out later and get him a few more ... ;)

Love those snoods!!! And on such lovely dogs :luv: :luv:. Am just waiting for mine to arrive. I'm getting the Brown Dogs pattern - like I see you have - and also the red Urban Cowboy.

My two can't wait either. At the moment they have their ears sort of stuffed into old T-shirt sleeves....not very glamorous or effective! They sit there sweetly and pop their heads into the sleeves because they know their dinners are only seconds away :p . I've had to resort to pegs to hold Lucy's ears back as well so the sooner the snoods arrive the better. (I only peg the hair, not the skin bit of the ears, by the way, ouch! :( )

Thank you for being so patient with me Linda :lol: That explains a lot. I did buy the boys NV marrow bones, but you are right, too much marrow made Cody sick. Do you thaw them out first? My other dogs strangely were not in the least bit interested in them, and I think it was because I tossed it to them frozen. Stewie's little mouth is so small he couldn't get his teeth around it and gave up :(

I will try again as soon as my snoods come in...AHEM ROXANNE!! ;) ;) ;) :D

Thank you for being so patient with me Linda :lol: That explains a lot. I did buy the boys NV marrow bones, but you are right, too much marrow made Cody sick. Do you thaw them out first? My other dogs strangely were not in the least bit interested in them, and I think it was because I tossed it to them frozen. Stewie's little mouth is so small he couldn't get his teeth around it and gave up :(

I will try again as soon as my snoods come in...AHEM ROXANNE!! ;)

You are so sweet Monica, it is no problem at all.
Afterall isn't that what this board is for.;) ;)

I am sure your snoods will arrive soon, just ask the butcher to cut a bone about 1 inch thick for Stewie can't have the wee fellow not enjoying one too.

I used to give them to Dudley a few years ago frozen but they would much rather have them thawed.
Picture yourself eating a frozen dinner. YUCK.

You are a wonderful mommy to your crew, and be a good girl on the wkd.
I am gonna have a hard time this wkd, it is a holiday wkd.

I am gonna do my best not to melt and have any beeeeeeeeeeeer.

Monica when Frank brought home those massive bones yesterday from the butcher we put them outside and both Dudley and Darby looked at one another as if to say what the hell do they what us to do with these things.

Then when I went and got smaller ones you saw what happened.

:) :)

Linda , that last pic of your boys is just AMAZING!!!!
I can't stop looking at it :w*w: :w*w: :w*w: :w*w:

:flwr:

I loved the pictures, but I think your neighbors got a good chuckle when they see them in the yard.:D

Linda, those pictures of the boys are priceless. They are getting more beautiful every time that I see them
Julie and the girls

they look so cute but i couldnt stop myself from laughing when i saw the first photo as they look like a couple of old ladies :rolleyes:

the wife has started to tie lucys ears in a scrunchie at meal times as we spend half the day picking bits of it out of the fur!!! so might just have to see about getting one for her:D

Back