Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1st The Humiliation Then the Flattery

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Monica

Here in Canada we call them soup bones, just take a bit of the marrow out as too much can give them runny poop. But otherwise they are really good for them.

My hubby actually went earlier in the day and he gave him bones big enough for a Great Dame. Anyway I went back later and they will cut them to the size you want.

Just tell them you want small bones about 3 to 4 inches, our grocery store has a butcher counter attached to it so I usually ask them and they will cut them for you.

They also had some turkey necks, which usually I would never buy but they looked more like the chicken necks I buy so I got a few of those too.

These boys are gonna have a field day this wkd.

Let us know how you make out Monica, don't you feed NV I think some pre-frozen raw foods also sell marrow bones.
    But you are better to get them fresh if you can.
    Mom to Daniel, Derrick, David
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moniechris View Post
    What bones do you ask the butcher for? How does that work? I am so new at this whole raw deal that I feel so silly asking the butcher for anything without the proper wording!!
    I'm with Monica, though I saw your answer Linda, I'm still wondering ... what kind of bones are soup bones? Some type of beef that looks like, but what part I have no clue, as I've never purchased any myself.
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne M View Post
    I'm with Monica, though I saw your answer Linda, I'm still wondering ... what kind of bones are soup bones? Some type of beef that looks like, but what part I have no clue, as I've never purchased any myself.

Sorry Girls

I am used to the Canadian terminology.

I believe then you would just ask them for beef bones, they really don't have a lot of meat on them and should not cost a lot.

To give you a better idea, I took some out of the freezer to snap a picture.

The bone that looks round with less meat on it is a marrow bone and although they love the marrow I always remove some of it.

Just be careful not to get beef rib as I believe that bone is a bit thinner and can splinter easier.

I will ask Sara to have a look she used to live in the States and will know what you all call them. I know in Britain we always called them soup bones and they do here too. My Granny always made a good pot of soup with the bone.
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think we call them marrow bones here in the states. At least in the northeast (we do have our regional differences too ...)

I bought some for Lucky a while ago. They actually had 6 of them sliced up and pre-packaged. I think the package said "marrow bones" but I'm not sure. I might have to run out later and get him a few more ...
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Love those snoods!!! And on such lovely dogs . Am just waiting for mine to arrive. I'm getting the Brown Dogs pattern - like I see you have - and also the red Urban Cowboy.

My two can't wait either. At the moment they have their ears sort of stuffed into old T-shirt sleeves....not very glamorous or effective! They sit there sweetly and pop their heads into the sleeves because they know their dinners are only seconds away . I've had to resort to pegs to hold Lucy's ears back as well so the sooner the snoods arrive the better. (I only peg the hair, not the skin bit of the ears, by the way, ouch! )
    Annie and Lucy (tri girl born Feb 06) and Henry (Blenheim boy born June 06)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for being so patient with me Linda That explains a lot. I did buy the boys NV marrow bones, but you are right, too much marrow made Cody sick. Do you thaw them out first? My other dogs strangely were not in the least bit interested in them, and I think it was because I tossed it to them frozen. Stewie's little mouth is so small he couldn't get his teeth around it and gave up

I will try again as soon as my snoods come in...AHEM ROXANNE!!
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moniechris View Post
    Thank you for being so patient with me Linda That explains a lot. I did buy the boys NV marrow bones, but you are right, too much marrow made Cody sick. Do you thaw them out first? My other dogs strangely were not in the least bit interested in them, and I think it was because I tossed it to them frozen. Stewie's little mouth is so small he couldn't get his teeth around it and gave up

I will try again as soon as my snoods come in...AHEM ROXANNE!!
    You are so sweet Monica, it is no problem at all.
    Afterall isn't that what this board is for.

I am sure your snoods will arrive soon, just ask the butcher to cut a bone about 1 inch thick for Stewie can't have the wee fellow not enjoying one too.

I used to give them to Dudley a few years ago frozen but they would much rather have them thawed.
    Picture yourself eating a frozen dinner. YUCK.

You are a wonderful mommy to your crew, and be a good girl on the wkd.
    I am gonna have a hard time this wkd, it is a holiday wkd.

I am gonna do my best not to melt and have any beeeeeeeeeeeer.

Monica when Frank brought home those massive bones yesterday from the butcher we put them outside and both Dudley and Darby looked at one another as if to say what the hell do they what us to do with these things.

Then when I went and got smaller ones you saw what happened.

Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like

Linda , that last pic of your boys is just AMAZING!!!!
    I can't stop looking at it

Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the pictures, but I think your neighbors got a good chuckle when they see them in the yard.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Linda Now I know exactly what to ask for and what it should look like too.
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005