• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

You think a dog check up is bad, try a rabbit @ $230

Kodee

yup that is right.. the lil fuzz ball came home with my daughter from university. I thought his eyes looked odd and then he was quite quiet. He immediately ran to me and put his head on my lap - instincts said right then, he is sick. NOPE she said he isnt. A wk goes by, he is still running to me and resting on my leg... nope I know he is, so I decided he should have a check up. YUP infected ears, eyes and being a longhaired guy is was matted quite a bit. meds, boarding for day, dematting totalled $230 and great he must go back in a wk for a check up.... on eyes. If they arent better, they a fungal test at another 55 on top of the 66 they will charge at the check up. Lets see that will be a grand total of$340! I needed that after a spay/hernia/teeth bill of 400 2 days earlier. $740 on this wks pets... that better be the end for this yr outside of flea/heartworm meds I need to buy in 2 wks @100.

Kodee's mom, I'm SO glad you took little bunny in for a checkup. I've had rabbits my whole life as pets. Our Baxter bunny is now 10 years old! Rabbits don't act odd or sick unless they are REALLY really ill...it's part of their protective mechanism to act as if everything is well until they really can't fake it anymore. It's imperative to act quickly. I'm so sorry for your bill, but you can be comforted to know that you did the right thing...:flwr: -Natalie

I've spent that much on "saving" one of guinea pigs. Guess it's just our nature as animal lovers. Everyone else thought i was nuts too!

Sheri

My Chevy(bunny) is the most expense pet I have. Well I guess him and Doodles are running pretty even right now. But I got him when i was 16yrs old because my guinea pig died and I wanted a new pet. I went ot the local farm nad garden store and got him because he was the smallest and had bright red eyes. Well I toke him to the vet for a check up and found out my bunny has a over bite. His teeth dont line up. I spent the last five years bring him to the vet every two weeks to have his teeth trimmed at 35.00 a trim. Then about a year ago we moved to Colorado and got a new vet. He told us that we need to trim the molers to. Which our other vet had never talked about. Needless to say. That was 250.00 a pop and you have to do three trims like that back to back about a month apart Because usually then the teeth will come back into alignment and grind on themselves. Well it didnt work and That was 750.00. Then we were told to go back to the 35.00 trim every two weeks and keep watching him to see if he is in pain. When he is showing any sign of pain it is PTS for him sadly. The vet said we would probably have a couple of month after the last moler trim then it would be time. That was a year ago and he is still going strong! The money has been worth it because Chevy is still here and hopping:razz:
Nichole, Doodles and Kiwi

My Chevy(bunny) is the most expense pet I have. Well I guess him and Doodles are running pretty even right now. But I got him when i was 16yrs old because my guinea pig died and I wanted a new pet. I went ot the local farm nad garden store and got him because he was the smallest and had bright red eyes. Well I toke him to the vet for a check up and found out my bunny has a over bite. His teeth dont line up. I spent the last five years bring him to the vet every two weeks to have his teeth trimmed at 35.00 a trim. Then about a year ago we moved to Colorado and got a new vet. He told us that we need to trim the molers to. Which our other vet had never talked about. Needless to say. That was 250.00 a pop and you have to do three trims like that back to back about a month apart Because usually then the teeth will come back into alignment and grind on themselves. Well it didnt work and That was 750.00. Then we were told to go back to the 35.00 trim every two weeks and keep watching him to see if he is in pain. When he is showing any sign of pain it is PTS for him sadly. The vet said we would probably have a couple of month after the last moler trim then it would be time. That was a year ago and he is still going strong! The money has been worth it because Chevy is still here and hopping:razz:
Nichole, Doodles and Kiwi
Oh wow, that is hard in the pocket and pain department. The good thing the vet said is she has never seen a rabbit with perfect teeth like Kahlua! His weight is perfect, skin, breathing... its just these mats upkeep and ears I cant figure out. We have had 3 vets and all disagree - clean ears - dont. The dont ends up with infection and nice vet bills. I just found an ontario rabbit association with an online forum. I see quite a few area agoria fuzzy rabbits so maybe someone there can give suggestions. Really someone could start up quite the vet assistant business grooming rabbits!

Yeah teeth and ears can be tricky! I have never cleaned Chevys ears but he has short hair and other then his teeth everything else on him works perfectly! Bunnies can be a pain but they are cool creatures. I like them best out of all the small creatures. I have own hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, ect.

On the grooming issue. That is tough because shaving bunny is tough and so is brushing their skin is extremely thin. so it is easy to cut or break the skin. Good luck with Kahlua!
Nichole

good for you!!!! its almost always best to trust your gut when it comes to these little guys. my cousin adopted a rabbit from the humane society and his age was estimeated at 2 years old....he lived another 15 years!!!! we changed his name from thumper to energizer bunny after a while, heehee.

i would see if you can work out some MAJOR chores for your daughter to be doing for you soon since youre such a great bunny grandma! good luck with the bun-bun!

I am so glad that you took him in to the vet. I have a house bunny and I have to say that rabbits are so much like dogs...they are as smart and as affectionate, and also as humorous, as dogs! My Ebony (he is a mini lop) amazes me everyday, he is so sweet and such a friend...he will follow me all over the house, with the dogs....it's so sweet! And he is litterbox trained, Ebony is the love of my life.

Back